Last minute South Padre advice?

Birdsnest
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Last minute South Padre advice?

Post by Birdsnest »

I have to fly to Brownsville on short notice, leaving this pm.

I have fished the jetties on South Padre, but wondered if any TKF members could point me in the direction of a good spot for wading?

Wish I could take my kayak! :(

Thanks,
chavez
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

I'm heading there tonight

Post by chavez »

Birdsnest,

I'll be there tonight as well and going to go wading at Holly Beach early Saturday morning (like 5am) if you want to join me and my daughter. I think blindcasting might be around and I'm supposed to call him to see if he can join me.

Flavio sent me some directions to Holly Beach and hand drawn maps of the beach which I can e-mail to you.
Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Blindcasting »

I will be down there, I'll send you a pm with my cell #.

For simple wading spots, Holly Beach can be pretty good. Won't be able to get to the channels that are supposed to be really good, but the fishing within wadable distances can be good for reds. You can also wade the backside of the island north of the convention center. You have to go out a ways to get to a good fishing depth, but it can be worth the wade.

You might be able to get some access to Mexiquita, but the spot I'm most familiar with has a boat channel running between the shore and the flats.

There are probably a bunch of places to rent yaks if you decide you want one. Otherwise you can borrow mine (WS Ride) if I'm not using it.

Try the Wahoo Saloon

Post by Guest »

after dark. Tight lines, AC
Birdsnest
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Thanks

Post by Birdsnest »

Chavez, Blindcasting,

Thanks Guys!

Chavez if you could email those directions to Holly, that would be fantastic. I probably won't be able to fish until Saturday night or Sunday Morning, but I'm damn sure gonna try and hit the water ASAP.

I really appreciate the help :!:
Redfish

South Padre

Post by Redfish »

A very easy area to wade for a couple of hours --(early before the boat /skidoo traffic picks up) is to turn in left (past some condos on a canal) South of the convention center to the small marina /launch at the end of the road---just wade out to the North towards the convention center--I have caught reds and trout there before 9:00 A.M.--but they are spooky--there is a lot of traffic /pressure in this area.
Fishing Elvis
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Fishing Elvis »

Another good place to wade is across from the Port Isabel High School. Just walk out across from the high school and your goo to go. I've never fished there personally but have heard good things from some people I know. Good luck.
Caddyak

Post by Caddyak »

Go fish South Bay if you can manage the short paddle across the Brownsville Ship Cannel. It's not that difficult. Paddle all the way across the bay and drift back towards the big duck blind. Catchem bigum. Good Luck 8)
galtexcpl

Post by galtexcpl »

When I lived on SPI in the early 70's we fished a place we called "cemetery hole" in Port Isabel. You would follow the shoreline until you found an old cemetery. Park and wade out towards the north. I haven't been there for years, but that was always a favorite spot of mine.

Carey