Craziest fishing experience?

goneyakin

Craziest fishing experience?

Post by goneyakin »

Ive been stranded on a beach (due engine trouble), stuck in Sargeant another night (due to the car getting stuck 200 yards down a mud trail), fishing while an 7-8 foot shark got the stringer.

Just woundering what some of your craziest fishing experiences are.
ARSAN
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by ARSAN »

Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Who had the story with spilling fish oil in their kayak and all the crabs trying to get in the kayak?
ARSAN
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by ARSAN »

Tombo wrote:Who had the story with spilling fish oil in their kayak and all the crabs trying to get in the kayak?

:lol: now that sounds funny. would like to hear that one Image
Specstalker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Specstalker »

Spanish Fly I would have been tempted to try to paddle from Titlum to SLP park and walk to Ernie's too...... :D
Bankshot

Here's One

Post by Bankshot »

Maiden voyage of the Gheenoe 13' with trolling motor power and paddle.
Super whizmo high tech next generation battery from Bass Pro. Two people.
Launched at boat ramp behind Rollover. Went around the point and up into Big Pasture Bayou. WAY up into the marsh. Super whizmo battery crapped out. Dead. Zero volts. Wind came up. Rising tide. Had to tow the pig out. When the water was too deep in the bayou had to drag it over the marsh in the dark. Swam it across the ICW in 30 kt winds at 3:00 am. Thoughtiwasgonnadie.
Got refund on battery. Retired Gheenoe. Switched back to canoes. And now Yaks.
Moral: Never go up the creek without 2 paddles.
jonnylaw
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jonnylaw »

Had engine trouble on Baffin yesterday, (after the front blew in) thought I was sure I was going to spend the night on the king ranch shoreline last night.
Bluffer
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Bluffer »

You have to get towed in or get it running?
ARSAN
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by ARSAN »

Specstalker wrote:Spanish Fly I would have been tempted to try to paddle from Titlum to SLP park and walk to Ernie's too...... :D

didn't want to risk loosing my yak or gear
Boiler

Post by Boiler »

There was a thunderstorm coming in while I was sitting in a float tube on Lake Somerville. I made a cast with 1/4 oz weight and a shad on the hook, AND THE LINE STAYED IN THE AIR! :shock: I had read about this kind of stuff, but had never seen it. Didn't believe what I was seeing so I snapped the line down and made another cast. It did it again! :shock: Realizing that I could be zapped (especially since I had two 7' graphite rods sticking straight up in the air next to me), I put all rods under the water and "stroked" for shore for all I was worth. The sky unzipped on me and I got soaked, but I did live to fish another day. Something I won't EVER forget!
jonnylaw
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jonnylaw »

We got towed in by a commercial fisherman that was a family friend. In saying that, anytime you need live shrimp in Loyola Beach, visit WEST's BAIT CAMP. They're the best!
Choupique

Post by Choupique »

Yesterday I banked the nose of my kayak on by the mouth of a little marsh cove.. I saw a back swimming around.. cast out past him and reeled up to him.. he squirmed, moved closer and saw me, freaked out. It was a really large red. He went back and forth twice then ran full speed into the nose of my kayak. (the noise was like swinging a baseball bat at your kayak) My brother about 50 yrds away looked over and we both saw the red hit the nose of my kayak, flop up on the bank and shimmy over to the other side. :shock:
Mrs Backlasher
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mrs Backlasher »

Tombo wrote:Who had the story with spilling fish oil in their kayak and all the crabs trying to get in the kayak?

That was Al Crise AKA Barry's Dad. That's one of the funniest stories I've ever heard! I think it was a can of cat food.

Mrs. B
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Mrs Backlasher wrote:

That was Al Crise AKA Barry's Dad. That's one of the funniest stories I've ever heard! I think it was a can of cat food.

Mrs. B

I agree.. That story was HILARIOUS! And yep, it was catfood to "chum" the fish! LMFAOOOOOOOOOO
picaroon
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by picaroon »

So many years. So many trips. So many foul ups. So many adventures. So many stories. I have saved lives and had mine saved. I have seen strange and exotic animals and fish. I have even caught some..............Did I mention meeting some strange and exotic people.

Actually I am on chapter 21 of a book I am writing on some of my expierences. At this point the title is " Fish Camp truths and lies". If nothing else it will serve as a written account of true stories, exaggerations and outright lies revolving around my life long fishing and hunting expierences.
Crank-B8
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crank-B8 »

Boiler wrote:I made a cast with 1/4 oz weight and a shad on the hook, AND THE LINE STAYED IN THE AIR! :shock:

Whoa! That's crazy. Did you hair start standing up?

I've read about that too but didn't know how legit it was. I've yet to see it and really don't care if I ever do. :shock:
REDFISHIN

Post by REDFISHIN »

Was fishing the surf at fish pass and were hammering trout. Friend next to me suddenly starts shooting sideways down the beach at a high rate of speed. I was standing there wondering what the hell was going on. Then quickly realized that a shark had grabbed his stringer of trout. He was drug about 400 yards down the beach before his stringer broke. We no longer string fish in the surf. Everything is walked back in and landed on the beach.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Other than the 2 times I was almost lost at sea due to storms - scary stories - I have had one interesting trip recently.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... hp?t=44965

Skip thru the first part to the part about the shark.
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

I'm still laughing about this one. I wading the flats in Drum Bay practicing with a fly rod early last December, and got my line tangled up a bit while stripping in. The fly itself was sitting on the bottom, about four feet in front of my toes, in about eight inches of water. As I'm getting the loops straightened out, I'm anticipating doing a roll cast to get everything back out in front so I can get back in business. Just as I shake out the last loop, the end of the fly line starts heading away from me on its own! Whoa Nelly, but hey, that'll certainly work too! I waited 'til the slack was all out, about twenty feet, then hauled back and the fight was on. Turned out to be a 16 or 17 inch flounder. Unfortunately, I didn't have my landing net handy, and lost my fish trying to find its built-in handle.

I couldn't believe anyone could catch a flounder so near his own feet, and then thought gosh, maybe I'd better redouble my vigilance for stingrays! The fly was CM's Saltwater Piggy Perch pattern, but blind as a bat. The eyes had fallen off because I hadn't learned to glue 'em on properly yet.

Cheers,
Kurt
bosquebob

crazy man crazy

Post by bosquebob »

This happened to me yesterday on Lake Aquilla, near Hillsboro. I put in at the boat ramp and went out about 50 yards. Threw out my rapala lure to do some trolling on my way to my fishing spot. I mounted my rod in the holder, and just started paddling, like I always do. After about 30 seconds, my rod was going crazy. I stopped paddling, and started to retrieve what I thought was a fish. I was looking back to where my lure should have been, but the pull was coming from the other way, I looked and looked and could not locate my line. Well, by now you may have guessed . A gull had grabbed my lure before it went under, and I was having a good ole time catching that gull. I did retrieve the lure and the gull was released unharmed. Yes, I looked around to see if anyone had been watching the comedy show. :oops:
Mrs Backlasher
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mrs Backlasher »

Barnacle Bill wrote:
Mrs Backlasher wrote:

Mrs. B

I agree.. That story was HILARIOUS! And yep, it was catfood to "chum" the fish! LMFAOOOOOOOOOO

I posted Al Crise's story at this link:

http://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=45806

Mrs B.
The Trout Scout

Post by The Trout Scout »

Back around 1995 or '96 just after the Cedar Bayou fish pass was reopened, I was at Cedar Bayou fish pass just inside the 1st cut from the surf.

It was during the week and I was fishin' with one of my fishin' buds that served in WWII and he was on one side of the gut and I was on the other side.

We were the only ones there and we had it all to ourselves.

All the sudden we both hook up and we're both fighting fish.

The battle goes on for quite awhile and we both find ourselves facing each other and our rods are aimed straight at each other.

That's when I hear Tom hollar: "I think we have the same fish."

"No way." was my reply.

"Stop Reeling", was his reply back.

So I did.

Tom reeled in an 18" redfish and my hook was on side of his mouth and Tom's hook was on the other side of the reds mouth.

Gotta have your bait in the current to catch fish dont'cha know.
:wink:

Capt. Rex
WATER HOG
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by WATER HOG »

Capt. REX . that story is a (REEL) tagg-team effort ! one to tell the grandkids about , ! :D
The Trout Scout

Post by The Trout Scout »

Yes sir WaterHog, that's one for the books, especially considering that each of us were on each side of the gut which was ~ 30 - 40 yards wide, 6 ft. deep+/- at that time and we had a good incoming tide that day. :wink:

I like your post, it gives New meaning to a "tagged" redfish.
:lol: :wink: 8)

Capt. Rex
Parrothead
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by Parrothead »

I've been hit by lightning. But I'm much better now. :twisted: