Fishing wif de Wiz! What a Trip! What a man! What a Fish!

DrPungo

Fishing wif de Wiz! What a Trip! What a man! What a Fish!

Post by DrPungo »

We did it all! We paddled, caught fish, practiced brotherhood, and had fun. Life IS good.

Polling twelve miles out across Lighthouse "Lakes" and praying for deeper water, I felt like the Volga Boatman! Kayaking in the mud builds shoulder muscles and character if not heavy stringers. Water like mother's bath and finding the cut, the cool, refreshing, life-giving cut. We waded in it. We bathed in it. We caught fish in it.
He said, "Come to a dead stop at the top of that back cast!" And the dreaded "tailing loop" disappeared from my fly cast. I had thoughts of changing my handle to "LeftyPungo." We took fish from the cut and laughed. The burning red ball sank into the water near Aransas Pass, and ended the scalding burn on my face. It was cool. It was beautiful and we started to sing.

Saturday night was getting dark and without a running light, I reeled in and started for Blue Flash. Standing knee deep and thirty feet away, Bill had an laser-focused look and made a last perfect cast back toward the mullet mob. He raised the rod tip and it bent under the load. Well into the struggle, speaking to himself, to the fish, to God, and me, he said, "Please don't let me lose this fish." Twenty minutes of demonstrated strength of will and heart in both combatants found the fish cradled in the arms of the Wiz.

In the fall of my life and the first summer of my fly fishing, I had just witnessed the element of inspiration that draws people to the sport. The momentary "wreckless behavior" of the fish drew an exquisite cast that resulted in this epic ending. Such a fine, fine day, standing with my brother, this phenomenal fish, and tropical music playing in my head.
Attachments
Bill's big un.jpg
Mercy
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Mercy »

Excellent post Dr. P......gave me goosebumps actually....:)
MarkT
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by MarkT »

Reading this post, I felt like I was there. DrPungo gets my vote for Outdoors Writer of the Year.

Mark
The Wizard

Glorious

Post by The Wizard »

Jim,

This is beautiful.

The Wizard
Charlie Tuna

Hemingway in the making...

Post by Charlie Tuna »

Dr Pungo

Nice story.

But I have to ask was this written before or after the bottle of wine in celebration of the Big Red... Or simply the high leftover from the weekend. Or does composing such words come from fly fishing world. Or is it being in the presence of Hollywood Bill that raises one to a higher level.

Charlie
Roostertail

Post by Roostertail »

Charlie, I think you hit it with that last one. As several of us have probably noticed, hollywood Bill does use Quite a few of those four-bit words when his excitement level goes up. It usually happens when he's having a good time and wants to teach us laymen something new. Before long it starts rubbing off on you!! Keep up the writing Doc as it was very elequote.. DUH... :lol: How do you spell that word anyway Bill?
boxybru

Post by boxybru »

Whewwww, feels like i sitting in my lounge chair reading a good story in one of my fav fishing mags, keep it up Dr. P
TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Well said, my friend !

Post by TKFStubb »

Curt Gowdy couldn't have said it better !
cyberyakker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by cyberyakker »

wow... Makes me feel like sittinn on the veranda with a margarita in hand while watching the waves break over the beach...oh, wait, I am nowhere near the water right now! :cry:

nice report
DrPungo

HEY, CHARLIE

Post by DrPungo »

You know, being with the famous Wiz-man will raise a lot of things: IQ score, general intensity of effort, fly casting ability, fish predation skill and intuition, and need for cold Corona and a modicum amount of sleep. This trip was the most thoroughly enjoyable time (male bonding type) that I have had in more than a few years. It restoreth my soul. And while the fishin was fun (if not totally productive) the time spent in relationship with Bill was for me the real payoff of the whole event. We had a great time and even harmonized some out there on the flats. Mmmmm, maybe the reason the fish were somewhat scarce. YeeeeeHaaaaa!
whitedog
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Very eloquent, Doc Pungo

Post by whitedog »

It was a great fish and a great story. But, dang! If I can say that on the family channel. You wrote like Hemingway. Quit your day job. We need a flats novel!

WD
Mercy
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Mercy »

I'm with WD! I read Doc Ford novels by Randy Wayne White (try sayin' THAT 3 times fast!) which are always about Florida.....we need some Doc Pungo novels based in good ol' Texas!