Hey Mark T. and other bingo/hump lure collectors

vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Hey Mark T. and other bingo/hump lure collectors

Post by vincent »

Mark..like you avatar...I have a bunch of old hump lures..got many of them on Ebay..and located a guy out of Louisiana that has a large quantity of bingo and hump lures still in the box..he sent me a list of the models he had..and it was nearly complete..bought a bunch of bingos from him from 5-10 a piece...here are some of my favorites...if you can get any of the tiger humps they are worth about 100.00 a piece on ebay

It all started with my quest for this bingo lure..K36...the KING of all king bingos..the ultimate nitetime bingo for my pier lights..after I got this lure..I pulled it out one nite when the fishing slowed...showed it to my buds and family on the pier..bragged about how superior it was to all lures..tied it on my line..cast it into the lights..jerked it one time and BAM..caught a keeper redfish..the only one of the nite...landed it...cut off the lure..placed it back in the box..and haven't used it since..other than to threaten my friends that I'll break it back out and kick their butt..

Here are the humps

wetluers

Post by wetluers »

Nice lures, vincent! I've been tempted to pick up a few and fish them at SLP for old time's sake.
Assault the Salt

Post by Assault the Salt »

Those are some awesome looking lures...., I'm jealouse!!!!!! Almost looks like a "shifty shiner" which is my favorite winter time lure....
Backlasher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Backlasher »

Those are beautiful lures! They bring back a lot of memories. They used to work at the pass and I'm sure they still would. I gave away all my bingoes and humps (even a plugging shorty shrimp) to a friend with a collection. I do still have a dalton special topwater though.
If some folks think Corkies are too expensive, they ought to start collecting old lures.
I had a Bingo that was sort of a plum color, kinda reddish purple, that used to catch trout like nothing else since. Now, if I ever see one for sale, it'll be too valuable to fish with. BAH HUMBUG!!!
anzuelo

Post by anzuelo »

A collector by the name of Ben Kocian used to make displays of the Queen Bingo lures. He would use about twenty brand new lures of different colors and put them in a mahogany display case. These would be auctioned off at the various CCA banquets.

I was bidding on one of those collections at a CCA banquet when my wife (now ex-wife) told me that if I bought "that" it could be hung in the garage. She just didn't have the same outlook on life that I have.
MarkT
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by MarkT »

I'm not a collector, but I might become one. My new avatar is my last remaining Hump M5 that has been in my boat bag forever. I decided to retire it before it got lost. That was my go-to lure for winter trout in the Lavaca River and Garcitas Creek. There were a couple of times when nothing else but the M5 would work. I think I still have a yellow M? somewhere.

Those are some beauties you have there. It's good to know that they are still on the affordable side. I'll have to start looking for some.
MarkT
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by MarkT »

Here's a larger image of the avatar:

CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

I still have 3 of my ‘60s Bingos left. Through the years I’ve either used them up, lost them or traded them away at the antique lure show.

I’m a Houston/SanLuisPass local- surfer/surf fisherman from the 60s and used to hang out and glean information from Rudy Grigar about fishing when he worked at SportingGoodsInc & later Delhomme’s. He was the ‘GURU’ of artificials when we were growing up. He taught us how to add an eyelet to the nose of a Mirrorlure 53 series and make it run shallow (now called the 51 series- invented by Rudy). He also taught us how to rig our spoons for the surf to keep the SMacks from cuttin’em off.

If you haven’t read his book ?? You should… It’s the mantra of artificial fishing on the Gulf coast.

In the 60s Rudy got the folks at Bingo to make a custom lure that he designed called the ‘Rudy Bingo Bubble’. If you read his book you’ll understand where he was with the advancement of lure design.

I had put this stuff up in a thread over on 2Cool a few weeks ago and from the thread I learned something very interesting. There's a guy over in Liberty who still owns the Bingo molds and all the back stock. He sells them on eBay and also puts them together into shadow boxes for display.
http://www.bingobait.com

A follow-up note about Ben Kocian- I ran into Ben a couple of weekends ago at an estate sale. He is just recovering from a long battle with his health. That's why he hasn't had the antique lure show in the last two years. It was great to see him but he has lost a LOT! of weight and the illness really aged him (I can relate!) He still has his booth at the Antique Barn over off of 610 & I-10.

here's the link to the antique lure discussion we had over on 2Cool a couple of weeks ago
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showt ... hp?t=41657

and a photo of some Bingo Humps that was posted in that thread that I cleaned up
Saltstalker

Bingos

Post by Saltstalker »

Great Pics guys Thanks , I have my share from my Fathers and Grandfathers Tackle Boxs from the 50s and 60s and would'nt trade them for anything , a few of the shrimp too . Wish i could find one of theose books. Thanks
Coastal Whaler

Old Fishing Lures

Post by Coastal Whaler »

:D
Last edited by Coastal Whaler on Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
five-O
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by five-O »

awesome thread. Capt Jack you are right on about the book "Plugger" I re-read that book at least once a year. Once you start reading it, you just cant put it down.
jhjspecks
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhjspecks »

i just got a tackle box full of them from my grandfather over the summer. he gave them to me and told me to use them because they were going to waste in his attic. they are hanging on the wall or in a box waiting to be framed. and Matt when am i gonna get that book to read and my book back man?
Pirogue man

Post by Pirogue man »

I still have my bongos and pluggin' shorty's from the 50's and 60's. I still use them all the time. Guess I'd better put them up. I've caught a lot of fish on those ol' shortys.
Richard
FOUL HOOKED
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by FOUL HOOKED »

i have always wanted a Plugger Bubble. How much do they go for now?
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

FOUL HOOKED wrote:i have always wanted a Plugger Bubble. How much do they go for now?

the last one I saw for sale at the antique lure show was going for $30
Coastal Whaler

Cordell Saltwater Lures

Post by Coastal Whaler »

:D
Last edited by Coastal Whaler on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Coastal Whaler

Shifty Shiner Sale

Post by Coastal Whaler »

I came across a large group in this color of the larger size Shifty Shiner. I will sale my extras to first come on the "For Sale Section." A Merry Christmas To All from Nueces Bay Texas !!!!!
Last edited by Coastal Whaler on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
picaroon
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by picaroon »

I HAVE A RATHER EXTENSIVE COLLECTION OF ALL OF THE OLD LURES MOST OF WHICH ARE USED AND ARE IN SOME CASES CURRENTLY BEING USED. IN ALL OF THE STORIES AND RECOLLECTIONS OF THE OLD LURES I HAVE SEEN WRITTEN LATELY LITTLE IS MENTIONED ABOUT THE DIXIE JETT SPOON (made in Houston) OR THE FLORIDA SHINER WHICH WERE VERY POPULAR.

NOW IS THE TIME OF YEAR TO USE THE PEARL PLUGGING SHORTIE AT OFFETS OR THE SHELL HOPPER AT LIVERPOOL..........WE USED THE CHROME QUEEN AND KING BINGOS OFF SHORE WITH A POPPING ROD TO CATCH KINGS. WE WOULD EITHER FIND THEM BEHIND A SHRIMP BOAT OR WOULD CHUM THEM UP AND CAST TO THEM LIKE THEY WERE SCHOOLING TROUT.

AT THE RISK OF BEING SACRILEGIOUS I FISHED WITH RUDY A NUMBER OF TIMES AND IN MY OPINION THE LEGEND IS MUCH BIGGER THAN THE MAN. HIS FRIEND ZOLLIE TALIAFERRO WAS A MUCH BETTER FISHERMAN. LET THERE BE NO DOUBT ABOUT IT BY THE TIME HE STARTED THERE WERE ANY NUMBER OF FISHERMAN WHO WERE AS GOOD OR BETTER THEY JUST DIDNT TALK ABOUT THEIR FISH. ONE THING FOR CERTAIN......RUDY COULD TALK.
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

Picaroon...I have a Dixie Bat spoon on my keychain..don't know the history about it...came from grandpa...still as shiny as a new nickle..has the trout stamped on the spoon with the words Dixie Bat...haven't ever seen any that were triangular other than that spoon.
The Trout Scout

Post by The Trout Scout »

Here's a Shifty Shiner that was given to me by Capt. Al Mandel, who guides in the Baffin Bay area.

Capt. Al came by my Rockport Rattler shop a couple of years ago to get with me on making him a variety of Rockport Rattlers. We ended up talking fishing for an hour or so and he gave me this Shifty Shiner:

While this lure Manufacturer was bought out by Mirror-Lure and they quit making them,....It was one of the first suspended baits on the market.

I'm thinking of inserting the Shiner with one of my rattles.
8)

Capt. Rex
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

The Trout Scout

Post by The Trout Scout »

Thanks CaptJack. 8)

It's now saved and replaced the original!!

Capt. Rex
whunderwood

Re: Hey Mark T. and other bingo/hump lure collectors

Post by whunderwood »

Bumping this back up. I know its an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone had any Bingo Bubbles for sale. Please PM me.

Thanks and keep the stories coming. I have a few Plugging Shorty's that I inherited from my dad, and I am in awe of the early plastic 'renaissance' men who created them.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

gyoung
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gyoung »

Yep Vincent.. your cruel... at least if you never use the lure and it stays in your box it will be handed down to your son. So now we have the story immortalized here!