Kayaking the Port Isabel / South Padre Area

yak-attack
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Kayaking the Port Isabel / South Padre Area

Post by yak-attack »

New to kayak fishing...I've been fishing from the Pirates Landing Pier as long as I can remember. Do any of you experienced yakers out there know of prime locations to launch yaks which is within paddling distance to good fishing locations? Also, what type of tackle is most beneficial this time of the year? (live shrimp, artificials, mullet?). Thanks a bunch!
Flavio
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Flavio »

I live in Pharr and pretty much know all the good putins for some good fishing. For South Bay, Drive up to the fence at the old causeway and park on the right on the empty lot. That will take you straight to South Bay. For Holly Beach, Go to Laguna Vista and Make a right right after the golf course and that dirt road will take you to holly beach. You'll have no choice other than get there cause the fences won't allow you to make a wrong turn. At the small fork in the road, take the left option and you're there. I mainly fish Port Mansfield and that's some great fishing. Nothing but wadable flats and the putins are easy to get to. If you give me your email address, I'll send you a sketch of port Mansfield. Ofcourse, there are more choices to fish from, but these will be sufficient for now, I think. Hope this helps.
yak-attack
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by yak-attack »

Thanks Flavio,

The South Bay launch point sounds interesting. Have you had any luck catching snook at that location? Let me know the next time you go to Port Mansfield, maybe I can learn something from a seasoned yakker.

:D
Flavio
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Flavio »

I've only been to south bay a few times and no snook. I've caught some nice reds though. God willing, I should be going to port mansfield next saturday. You're more than welcomed to come along. I usually leave really early and row in the dark so I can be at my favorite spot before daybreak. Let me know if you want to meet there. Talk to ya soon.
kc kulhanek

Post by kc kulhanek »

I fished South Padre a lot within the past 6 years or so and if you like to use bait, cut ballyhoo works well or shrimp, too. There is a place called three islands that I used to fish and a buddy of mine from Columbus works down there at some bird sanctuary. Anyway, try fishing the edges of the grass flats down there. Night fishing is also good at the spoil banks close to the intercoastal.