Port Isabel Wade Fishing Areas???

Patrick McNutt

Port Isabel Wade Fishing Areas???

Post by Patrick McNutt »

I am going to McAllen, TX for the weekend to attend a wedding. I would like to go wade fishing early Saturday morning but have never fished the area. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to wade?
Grand Slammer
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Grand Slammer »

There is a stretch of good wadefishing flats across from the high school in Port Isabel, right on Hwy. 100. You will see places to put your vehicle close to the water. If you come over to South Padre, there are also some good spots. One would be on the public area next to the convention center. Another good place is at the SPI end of the bridge. You can park on the shoulder and wade on the south side of the bridge. A nice oyster bed is right there. There are other spots as well, in the county park by the jetties for one.
LXA393
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by LXA393 »

Patrick,

You can't go wrong with any of those places that JohnD mentioned.

Also the common area down here is Holly Beach which is off of 510 in Laguna Vista...coming from Port Isabel you would head north on HWY100 and go through Laguna Heights. You will eventually come to an intersection for HWY510. Take a right on 510 and follow through Laguna Vista..you will then see a golf course (SPI Golf Resort) immediately past the golf course on your right hand side is a dirt road. Follow the dirt road until to takes a fork, stay to the left of the fork.......from there you will find places to park and wade.

However if you are on limited time your best bet would be the Convention Center, or the HWY100 area across the street from Port Isabel High school (you can also fish same area behind the Wal-Mart). Good luck. Any other questions feel free to PM any of us from the area.

Jeff
LXA393
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by LXA393 »

John D,

The area at the SPI end of the bridge with the oyster bed..........are you referring to the little flat between the bridge and Sea Ranch Marina? If so that is an excellent area on high tide.....I have fished that area by boat numerous times but was unsure how to access by walk in wading.

By the way, congrats on the new T140 purchase. You will be happy with it. Looking to start my little fleet later this year with a 2nd purchase also. Decisions, decisions.....
Grand Slammer
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Grand Slammer »

Yes, the little flat with mangroves between the bridge and the fishbones pier where the Osprey goes out of. You can park by the pier, and wade from that side, or park right on the shoulder at the end of the bridge, or on the little connectors by the statue of the padre and the South Padre sign. I see guys there all the time. There is this one group that goes over there who take chairs, a canopy and a bunch of other stuff they set up in the water, and spend the day there. That would be too much work for me. I like to travel light when I'm wading, and I don't like to just sit in one spot and wait either. Maybe I'd catch more if I did? I Larry from the Fly Shop is going to deliver my T140 tomorrow. He is putting in a couple of rod holders. I love my Heritage but I think I can do a lot more with the Tarpon. Today I bought a 1992 Ford Expedition to haul the yaks in so I am set now. Used to have to use the car, and work it out with the wife, which meant not being able to go whenever I wanted to. We need to hook up sometime. I have a lot to learn about kayaking still. I am usually off Mon and Tues which makes it hard to find someone to go with, because "normal jobs" are usually off on the weekend. The good part is a lot less boats out there.
Grand Slammer
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Grand Slammer »

Yes, the little flat with mangroves between the bridge and the fishbones pier where the Osprey goes out of. You can park by the pier, and wade from that side, or park right on the shoulder at the end of the bridge, or on the little connectors by the statue of the padre and the South Padre sign. I see guys there all the time. There is this one group that goes over there who take chairs, a canopy and a bunch of other stuff they set up in the water, and spend the day there. That would be too much work for me. I like to travel light when I'm wading, and I don't like to just sit in one spot and wait either. Maybe I'd catch more if I did? I Larry from the Fly Shop is going to deliver my T140 tomorrow. He is putting in a couple of rod holders. I love my Heritage but I think I can do a lot more with the Tarpon. Today I bought a 1992 Ford Expedition to haul the yaks in so I am set now. Used to have to use the car, and work it out with the wife, which meant not being able to go whenever I wanted to. We need to hook up sometime. I have a lot to learn about kayaking still. I am usually off Mon and Tues which makes it hard to find someone to go with, because "normal jobs" are usually off on the weekend. The good part is a lot less boats out there.
LXA393
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by LXA393 »

John,

Thanks for the reply. I need to fish that area from kayak. I have seen what lurks in those oyster beds and still have nightmares of one that got away at that spot while drifting from a boat.

Yes we need to meet up sometime. I don't have a normal job either so my days off rotate each week. I'll send you a PM with my number so we can get in touch sometime.

Jeff
ralph_suniga2003

Re: Port Isabel Wade Fishing Areas???

Post by ralph_suniga2003 »

New to wade fishing going to Port Isabel for a week need some intel on where and how to wade fish going to have my wifes cousins husband with me he fishes a little I have bay fished from a boat but will be on foot this time can anyone help with bait and or lures to use can anyone help me please. Also I need to get a map of the wading area dont want to wind up in some ones back yard or be in a restricted area
Mrcarcrazy

Post by Mrcarcrazy »

I’m far from an expert, but I recently moved to the area. People fish behind my house all the time. They park at the Arturo Galvan park(turn down the street next to Sutherland’s (2nd Street) and you will end up at the park) and wade out from there. I’ve fished there twice and found that 95% of fishermen are using live bait (shrimp mostly). I use soft plastics. Had great luck yesterday with down South Lures bone/diamond paddle tail. However if you’re wanting big ones I don’t think this is the best spot. I was consistently catching 11-14” fish.
(Maybe it was the bait but I caught 4x the fish as the guy a ways down And he was using live bait.

Pirates landing pier is pretty good from what I’m told for pier fishing.

There are two popular spots on hwy 48 that goes to Brownsville. Within about 3-5miles of port Isabel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Dang, resurrecting a 13 year old thread.

Google Maps

Behind/north of the Convention Center on Padre Island is a good spot. So is the flats behind the Coast Guard Station from Isla Blanca Park.
ralph_suniga2003

Post by ralph_suniga2003 »

sorry about that helps to check the dates but kinda new to this web sight what baits to you use
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

10 years later, the Convention Center is still good wade fishing (as it was 10 years before that)
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

ralph_suniga2003 wrote:sorry about that helps to check the dates but kinda new to this web sight what baits to you use
LOL, it's OK. Happens quite often.

If I were wade fishing which means a single tackle box I'd take:
Two different topwaters depending on condition in bone and something a little brighter
Two or Three soft plastics eels or paddle tails appropriate to the conditions (Pearl, Chicken on a Chain, and Plum, for instance)
3" Gulp Shrimp (not my thing to throw, but very popular)
1/6oz jighead
1/4 oz weedless gold spoon
Cork for working the shrimp