Some lost posts from the old board

JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Some lost posts from the old board

Post by JimD »

Capt. Chris Martin guides out of San Antonio and related bays. If you read a lot of the old msg boards Chris is always "helping others with his advice" and catching some good fish too. He has a good web site and is always willing to help when you ask his advice when he is not on the water.
He posts regular "WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE BAY SYSTEM" reports on the CCCF board fishing reports not just look what we caught today type posts.

FROM CAPT CHRIS MARTIN:

I recommend tying a double surgeons knot with 20-pound fluorocarbon leader material to 12-pound mono fishing line. I use this shock leader when using soft plastic, spoons, sub-surface, and top water lures. The 20-pound fluorocarbon will allow the soft plastic lure more buoyancy, which in turn will keep the target out in front of the fish longer. The double surgeons knot will also allow you to reel the line/knot through the rod guides, unlike a swivel. I will use a loop knot on all jig heads. A loop knot will give the jig head a lot more action while swimming in both shallow and deep water.

Wading Box Must Haves

1/16 and 1/8-ounce norton laser lock jig heads.
Red shad norton sand eels jr. dipped in chartreuse color.
Tequila gold norton sand eels jr.
Plum chartreuse norton bull minnows.
Black and silver with black dots super spook jr. top water.
Black and green slow sinking corky fat boy with rattle.
Hot pink slow sinking corky with rattle.
Chartreuse gold sides catch 2000.
Chartreuse pearl she dog.
1/8-ounce wheedles gold spoon.
Black magic norton sand eel jr.
Black chartreuse head she dog rigged with pink tubes on rear hooks.
Glass rattles inserts for the norton lures.
Small spool of 20-pound fluorocarbon leader material.

Thanks again Chris.

JimD
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Kayak repair and link to full book- all aspects of kayaking

Post by JimD »

http://www.kayakdiving.net/sot12.html

Links to a California where the guy has a some where around a hundred page book on all aspects of diving. Repair is the chapter that is linked but there are 9 or more chapters from, repair, hauling,carts, out fitting, diving from fig how to get in and out thru the big surf and so forth. aT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE IS AN INDEX OF SECTIONS.

KNEE STRAPS, HOME MADE AND PART OF THE ARTICLE FOR ENTRY AND EXIT FROM THE SURF FOR THOSE WHO ARE HITTING THE SURF RIGHT NOW LISTED BELOW.

In the past, many of us have bought our knee-straps from local dealers. Lately though, I have discovered how easy and much cheaper it is to make my own. They are extremely easy to make and install on any kayak, and, if you don't use plastic buckles in them, they can be much stronger than the store-bought models! Here's all you need: 4 eyelets, 8 rivets (the kind the kayak makers use for plastic), 2 four-foot long pieces of 2" wide web strap, and a few feet of 3/16" nylon rope. If you want to make the straps removable, you'll need 4 trigger/swivel-snaps, and if you want to make them more easily adjustable, 2 sets of buckles or D-clips.

Start by installing the eyelets along the top of the gunwale. The forward eyelets should be just about even with, but no farther rearward of, the bottoms of your feet. The rear eyelets should be just about even with, but no farther forward of, the back of your seat-rest. Install the eyelets oriented parallel with the length of the kayak so the stress will be mostly along their length.

Next, push a hole into one end of the strap with a Phillips screwdriver, centered approximately 1.5 inches from the end, and run a piece of rope through the hole. Don't worry; the nylon web strap will not fall apart when stressed by the rope! Either tie the end of the web strap to the forward eyelet with only an inch or so distance between it and the eyelet, or tie the rope to a swivel-snap with very little or no slack between.

Now, run a piece of rope through the rear eyelet and take a seat in the boat. Pull the web strap into position and mark the rearward end of the web strap where you will want to cut it. The web straps should be pretty tight across the inside of your knees when you "lock" into them. You should NOT be able to get your knees together! Cut the strap, push a hole into it, and tie off the rope like you did the front.

There are two ways to make the knee-straps adjustable. One is simply to allow a little length on the rearward ropes to retie as needed to the eyelet or swivel-snap. The other is to use a longer piece of web strap that will allow you to cut it in the middle, overlap it, and run both ends through a single buckle. To get even fancier, you can use buckle clips, available at your sporting goods store. I have broken enough of them in the surf that I prefer not to use any plastic at all and just fix my strap lengths when I tie them to the eyelets.

You will find a pretty good discussion of surf entry and exit in a later chapter, so I'll just mention a few points here that are especially useful for long or heavily loaded kayaks: When you know surfing straight in is likely to end in a purl, you have no choice but to come in at an angle on the wave. Always keep your balance towards the waves. On the Malibu Two, keep your weight perfectly centered over the kayak under all circumstances.

TANDEM SURFING!

The Malibu Two is more fun to surf than most people can possibly imagine!

It's much better to fall off on the outside than to fall toward the beach where the kayak will run over top of you. Always brace on the outside. When the going gets really rough put even more weight out on that blade and stay locked into those knee-straps. Just trying to brace on the beach side will surely spell disaster for the novice surfer. Also, stay locked into the knee-straps when you roll in deeper water. The wave will pass you by quickly and you'll still have your kayak there with you when it is all over. Oh yeah, don't forget to hold onto that paddle too! Get back aboard quickly, get pointed out to sea, and get it moving in preparation for the next wave. You'll soon be surprised at the size of the waves you can handle in a good sideways brace position.
Last edited by JimD on Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Three sites with assorted help and hints

Post by JimD »

http://capmel.com/how_to_articles.htm Capt Mel's (Florida) How to site with assorted saltwater articles from fishing a DOA Shrimp, to wading to 40 other thing.

http://www.jimporter.org/tipster/ Assoterd how to tricks and tips from Jim Porter.

http://www.fishing-boating.com/articles.htm Another batch of fresh and salt water articles and how to's.