What do you carry in the fly box?

What do you carry in the fly box?

Post by Guest »

What do you carry in the old Texas saltwater fly box for redfish, trout, flounder, and misc?

Hoping to get a good discussion going here and pick up a few new patterns for my box.

Thanks!

Tx T-bum

Congrats Spurs and Hook 'Em Horns!

Post by Guest »

M-D
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: No Matter Where I Go, There I Am. No Matter Where I've Been, There I Was. It's A Vicious Cycle.

Post by M-D »

Well, let's see here, there's saltwater, weedless Woolly Buggers tied in a variety of colours; jointed poppers in red/white, black, chartreuse/yellow, lt. olive/yellow; some foam Wigglers; Clousers in chartreuse/white and red/white; Lefty's Deceivers in red/orange and black; a couple of baitfish imitations; some of Jim Green's shrimp patterns; M-D's Rattle Shrimp; one of another shrimp pattern; ribbonfish imitations; Schoolie flies; M-D's Bugeyes; Bendbacks; and a couple of Jim Green's Baby Stingray pattern. All of these are in sizes ranging from 4 to 1.

I've been working on a Dahlberg Diver of a different sort; a blue crab imitation, and a couple more. I need to make up some spoons, too.

M-D
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Basically all the above, but I have added....

Post by Animal Chris »

a version of Lefty Ray's Guadalupana (sp?). After talking to him at the Texas Fly Fishers Fly Tying Festival last February, I tied his basic pattern with the addition of a chartreuse tail or a flo. Orange tail. Basically tying in the colors I use with conventional soft plastics. To date, I have tied it in Red /White, all white, chart/white, white / chart, fire tiger (Great for Bass) and purple/yellow (Great at night). I was worried about using the lighter fresh water hooks, but like Ray said, they work just fine. I have caught specs, redfish and flounder with them. I am going to Mexico next month and plan on super sizing[i] some and find out how el sabalo y robalo like them. Tight Loops, AC

Post by Guest »

Where do you get the fluorescent orange tail material? Is this the same stuff that the Wizard ties into the Voddo Child?

Also, what crab patterns should be in a fly box?

Tx T-bum
Redfish 2

Fly Patterns

Post by Redfish 2 »

I use three basic flys---a small orange /brown snapping shrimp which is really a bonefish fly--but the Reds love it--same colors as Lefty's diver above. A small size gold East Cut popper for the surface, and the Butt Ugly crab imitation( in Greg Berlocher's book) for dredging the channels. Of course I have another 40 types which I pick up here and there and most never work--but is fun to buy them. In prior years I used the traditional Chartreuse clouser , and various larger shrimp imitations. While these flies are very pretty--I have found something small and dark is the most consistent for redfish.
Lefty Ray
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Lefty Ray »

Hey Chris,

Becarefull, you are giving all my secret patterns away. j/k

FLIES ONLY

Post by FLIES ONLY »

Like everyone else I have a zillion different flies and keep tying more, but I find myelf throwing basically the same stuff so I just carry one large box and leave the rest in the boat. I use Foil Poppers size 4 or 2(silver, gold) up top and Ted's Big Eyed Baby Spoon Fly size 4 (red, chart, gold, or copper) for subsurface on the flats. Clousers (red/white, chart/white) in the holes and drop-offs.
Pick a fly you have confinence in and fish it hard! You will usually be rewarded.
Mercy
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Mercy »

Ted has the prettiest fly box you've ever seen! It looks like VEGAS in there!!! ;)
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Hey, Lefty Ray...

Post by Animal Chris »

If it is published, then it can't be that big of a secret. (Besides, as the net goes, proper credit was given) The secret is being able to relate what you read in a fresh water book and adding just the right amount of salt! After all, "What's life without a little salt?"
Like the new sight. Tight Loops my friend. AC