Braided line color

Yak Dog

Braided line color

Post by Yak Dog »

Who has used white braided fishing line in saltwater before? Did it make a difference in bites? I have two spools if 15# white braided line but I have always used moss green. Well it’s time to change the line out after three years. Should I use the white or go buy some moss green again? The waters I’m fishing are Matagorda brown water
SWFinatic

Re: Braided line color

Post by SWFinatic »

I’ve used red, blue and various shades of green over the years and haven’t noticed any impact on the bite. That said white is completely different in my mind. Not sure if I would go with white. You might could use it as a filler but that would be the extent of how I would use it. Just me.

That said I think 3 years is nothing for braid unless you spend many days a year on the water. I have braid that’s been on 2 reels that I don’t use much for 5 years. I did a pull test on the scale I had and it never broke. Still good after 5 years.
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

With braids I have always used green. Although back in the day when using dacron(Danged thumb burner), it was always white or a light shade of tan. Just saying..........cC
preast

Post by preast »

I wondered this when I first thought about getting into braid, but as a long-time fly fisher I've always known that the line color doesn't make any difference when you're using a proper leader (and fly lines are fat and all kinds of ridiculous colors). So I'm a relatively recent convert to braid (in white) and I don't have a color comparison but I always use at least a 6ft leader. I was surprised that you couldn't see the white underwater as much as I thought. I would think that just like with lures, darker would be more visible in murky water. But I still cannot see it mattering at all if you use a leader, esp saltwater species which seem to be far less shy than a cold water trout.
Yak Dog

Post by Yak Dog »

Well I may just put it on the reel and see what’s what, I’ll also take a second reel spooled with the green just in case. I’ll get back to y’all with the results.
Music Man
Location: Missouri City Lightning Nomad, Kraken 13.5, Trident Ultra 4.3

Post by Music Man »

I saw a video where they tested the visibility of different colors of braid and it appeared the green was less visible. Until we can ask the fish, who knows :wink: The video was fairly convincing. I fish mostly in the Galveston area so I doubt it matters. Seeing the clear water in the Rockport/Corpus area I’m thinking a mono leader negates any concert about line color. I grew up fishing stock ponds in Oklahoma and those fish would jump out of the water and bite your tackle box, so what do I know :lol: :lol: :lol:
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

Ive used neon green, red, yellow, blue and black. All works just fine. I do like the bright colors as I can pick up on line movement easier. If you are concerned using your white, razor cut into a black( or whatever color you want) felt tip Sharpie and pull your line through. I did that in the past but now I just use a long leader in copoly or fluoro. Green always fades to white anyhow
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I use white in PE#1.2 to #2- I use fluoro leader on all my braids (tied w/ improved Allbright knot).
The larger diameter is equivalent to 20-lb Sufix 832, but is 35-lb test in Japan X-braid.
(All the Japan X-braids are made by Izanas)

In thinner threadline braids, I like the multi-color that changes every 10 m for measuring the line I'm loading on shallow spools.

Image Image

White and bright colors - fish looking up see bright sky, don't really see colors, but mostly see monochrome/blue - bright colored-lines aren't a problem for the fish, and may help you see the line.

FWIW, with PE #1.2 X-braid (0.185 mm, 0.007", 27-lb test), and Ray's Studio honeycomb SV spool, this 3-year old Zillion in salt ML has never backlashed.
It casts 1/8 oz into next week.

Last edited by Ron Mc on Mon May 22, 2023 9:53 am, edited 5 times in total.
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

The color of the line depends on the user as in if the user wants to see the line or not. The brighter colored lines aid in seeing line movement. To the fish, if you are using a leader, it's a non issue. I've used leader lengths as short as 3 feet attached to yellow braid in clear water to catch smallmouth bass. They don't seem to care. Same goes for saltwater fish in the marsh.
Endo

Post by Endo »

My dirty little secret that I'll confess shamelessly.....

I've been using the same braid on a few of my main bay/freshwater reels for 20 years. I think I've reversed the line one time (so basically swapped the line laying on the inside, to the outside.

I use 20lb powerpro green line. I've never ever had the braid break yet.

Stuff seems to last forever. I don't think anyone "needs" to swap braid line out after 5 years.

Yak Dog

Post by Yak Dog »

Really appreciate all the great responses on this topic, I will still get back to y’all on the results this weekend
safarigene

Post by safarigene »

For saltwater, I have not seen any difference in color, but my experience is limited. We went out this past weekend and had everything from clear mono to my blue braid, and some neon yellow mono on. The redfish were hitting everything about equal. I have not used braid much in freshwater, so I can't speak to that really at all.
dnordin

Post by dnordin »

I have not noticed a difference in line colors. I will say that my more than middle aged eyes have trouble tying thin braid, but that was not the question, If Im in a hurry on the yak i'll just tie a loop. I have recently bought some bright blue braid so I can see it better, but have not spooled it yet. One thing about the white line that would concern me is seeing it after I cast.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

dnordin wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:41 pm ... I will say that my more than middle aged eyes have trouble tying thin braid, but that was not the question, If Im in a hurry on the yak i'll just tie a loop. I have recently bought some bright blue braid so I can see it better, but have not spooled it yet. ...
Loop-to-loop works great in a pinch, because of the linear contact instead of the point contact in a single-bend knot like a double-uni.
Another good hurried leader joint is a triple surgeon's knot.

The old eye factor - sitting at an Ott lamp and magnifier is how you get Allbright knots like this one.

Yak Dog

Post by Yak Dog »

I went Saturday and fished a marsh, there was no difference between the white and the green braided lines. Unfortunately the gar were out in force and fresh water still coming out the marsh from previous rains of days before. Not much red action this time to talk about, guess I picked the wrong spot to fish we only stayed about three hours and went back home. I’ll give it a few weeks before I hit this spot again, it’s usually a good red producer for me.