Humbling Experience

Capt. Chris Martin

Humbling Experience

Post by Capt. Chris Martin »

Humbling Experience

On Monday and Tuesday of this week we experienced strong west wind, which in turn delivered fresh dirty water from upper end of San Antonio Bay. The west wind also made for very slow fishing. Wow, this west wind is the last thing we needed. On Monday, we had only 12 fish. Tuesday, was probably the slowest trip I’ve had in 2005. We only caught 3 trout the entire day. Yesterday afternoon, I had a trip with Jeff H. Our first wade was in the back lakes, plenty of baitfish, but no fish caught. Wind was out of the southeast around 10-12 mph. The water was slowly trying to shape up. We finally found solid trout to 21” approximately 800 to 1000 yards off the south shoreline. The trout were located in transition between clean and dirty water. The key was locating busting bait fish. Lime green corky fat boys accounted for most fish. Jalapeno Norton bull minnows picked up several good fish. The top water bite was no where to be found. We landed 25 trout. All fish released.

Chris
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Any fishing trip can be humbling to me.
Texan
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Texan »

You gotta take the good with the bad, I'm hoping things turn around for ya! It doesn't sound like all was a wash though :wink: .

As Doug Sahm used to sing "A little bit is better than nada"!

Thanks for sharing Captain. :D
mr squish

Post by mr squish »

I hate it when you see bait all around you and not pick up one fish. I guess the key is to move and try again. I guess when you see the busting bait you will know there is fish. The Spring patterns can be really weird. Some days you find the fish with no signs of bait and other days you won't.
Birdsnest
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Birdsnest »

It was great to meet the infamous and wily Chris Martin. Great guide, a fine fisherman, and a credit to the fifty yard dash!

Seriously, he found and hammered on the trout while I spent most of my time casting at reds on the flats. Caught a wee little rojo pesacado, lost another, and cast repeatadly to a leviathon who showed neither interest nor annoyance at my offererings.

Bay Flats Lodge is a great set up. I highly recommend checking it out. Also, Chris was kicking around the idea of doing mothership trips for the plastic navy set. How cool would that be!!!!

Great day to be on the water. Thanks again Capt.
TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Good report!

Post by TKFStubb »

Chris and Jeff, good reort. Transition fishing is just as important to hear about as "one on every cast" trips...maybe more important. Anyone can catch them sometimes...it take a real fisherman to overcome bad weather and water conditions.
Thanks, guys! 8)