Ducking hunters and finding redfish

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Ducking hunters and finding redfish

Post by Prof. Salt »

As we all learn to navigate around duck hunters while searching for fish, the flats game heats up with reds working together in schools to pack on weight before winter slows everything down. I've found a few prime areas that have no hunters but that require long paddles to get there. It's a win-win because after the time change it's difficult to kayak for exercise after work during the week. I'll take the workout with fishing sandwiched in the middle. I used to fish part of Copano through hunting season, but last year I had three different hunters pepper me with steel shot as I paddled between islands. If you are hiding in the bushes and your decoy spread is on the other side of the island, I probably didn't see you. Next time just stand up and yell, asking the kayaker to keep moving. Trust me, they'll keep moving if they know you're there.

This year I'm in a new area with very few hunters but plenty of fish to chase - but you've got to pay if you want to play in this area. It's about four miles each direction to get in and out. Anyhow, the fishing has been good and every trip I get a chance to test out the latest versions of some fly patterns I've been developing. The crab fly is a redfish staple because the fish will almost always stop to eat a small crab when they find one. But some mornings the wind doesn't blow and fish are really spooky. They won't put up with a fluffy lure pushing water. After spooking many fish that way I started working on a small epoxy shrimp that wouldn't spook the fish but would allow me a simple way to hook those "spooky" fish. Here are the latest versions of the two patterns:
The crab is a lot of fun for actively feeding fish. Pitch it in front of a school and (if not instantly eaten) give it a slow twitch.
And they fare pretty well under the intense abuse that reds can dish out to a lure. This one survived six redfish and a couple more that came unbuttoned:
I love this game because redfish will eat anything that looks like food, just make sure your lures do look like food. The reds are always watching...
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Ducking hunters and finding redfish

Post by Dandydon »

Your artificial crab looks good enough to eat. Great fishing report & dramatic photos, Professor.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

The "warning shots" from duck hunters is what is causing a harsh divide between anglers and duck hunters. It's completely unnecessary and technically against the law but hard to prove to say the least. Both duck hunting and bay fishing are increasing in popularity and the tension is rapidly increasing between the two. The warning shots have a lot to do with that.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

SWFinatic wrote:The "warning shots" from duck hunters is what is causing a harsh divide between anglers and duck hunters. It's completely unnecessary and technically against the law but hard to prove to say the least. Both duck hunting and bay fishing are increasing in popularity and the tension is rapidly increasing between the two. The warning shots have a lot to do with that.
I don't want to paint with too broad a brush. Both sides have a few dolts who create the friction. If we could all just help guide those folks back to decent interactions we would all be better off. For that to happen it takes our guys reminding the newbies on how to handle duck season, and the guides could help a lot with some advice on how to interact with fishermen as they drop off their hunters.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

knowing the duck seasons, where duck hunters go, and avoiding decoys usually does the trick. They have a very limited time to hunt in comparison to fishing. I tend to hit the gym hard during duck season. :dance: