Kayak bottom protection

Czgrand

Kayak bottom protection

Post by Czgrand »

All,
I am hoping someone has experience with respect to protecting their polyethylene kayak bottoms against oysters. I have looked into gator guard, and numerous tapes (Gorilla, etc..), however, it seems Gator Guard is the clear winner, but wanted to ask prior to spending the money to protect my Viking Reload.
I fish skinny water every week and it's impossible to stay away from the oyster beds when hunting the reds. My 2 year old kayak looks like it was attacked by Freddie Cruger!
Any advice on what to use is greatly appreciated.
SWFinatic

Re: Kayak bottom protection

Post by SWFinatic »

I've had Keel Eazy on my kayaks for several years and happy with the product. It doesn't last quite as long as the more expensive tapes but does a good job.

https://www.keeleazy.com/
Czgrand

Post by Czgrand »

Thank you for the advice
Ohnooze

Post by Ohnooze »

SWFinatic wrote:I've had Keel Eazy on my kayaks for several years and happy with the product. It doesn't last quite as long as the more expensive tapes but does a good job.

Is it a tape or like a thin PVC or what? I fish skinny water as well and mine is getting tore up pretty good and I have only had it about 2 months.

I didn't know this was even a thing....
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

It's a peel n stick tape. I'm pretty sure it's PVC material and is sold per foot. Available in different widths too. You will need either a heat gun or hair dryer to install the material but this part is pretty standard with any quality product.

I fish shallow water flats too. Keep in mind there is no product available that I'm aware of that will stand up to oyster at least in terms of kayaks.
Ohnooze

Post by Ohnooze »

SWFinatic wrote:It's a peel n stick tape. I'm pretty sure it's PVC material and is sold per foot. Available in different widths too. You will need either a heat gun or hair dryer to install the material but this part is pretty standard with any quality product.

I fish shallow water flats too. Keep in mind there is no product available that I'm aware of that will stand up to oyster at least in terms of kayaks.
Hmm...must be somewhat hard on the outside though.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Yeah it's pretty hard on the surface. Again it's not going to stand up to oyster but will help with scratches.
Ohnooze

Post by Ohnooze »

Have you scratched through it and into the kayak?

Seems like it would help for sure. I might bite on this.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I've pulled my kayak up a concrete ramp, over sand and gravel and through lots of mud and haven't had it pierce the Keel Eazy yet. I do try to use caution when I can and avoid as much of that as possible and that obviously helps a lot.
Ohnooze

Post by Ohnooze »

SWFinatic wrote:I've pulled my kayak up a concrete ramp, over sand and gravel and through lots of mud and haven't had it pierce the Keel Eazy yet. I do try to use caution when I can and avoid as much of that as possible and that obviously helps a lot.
Well it getting scuffed up is fine by me so long as it doesn't get to the plastic of the kayak.
Thanks for the replies.
Ohnooze

Post by Ohnooze »

SWFinatic wrote:I've had Keel Eazy on my kayaks for several years and happy with the product. It doesn't last quite as long as the more expensive tapes but does a good job.

I just ordered it. Thanks again for the tip.

Any tips on how to cut it? I ordered 14' but plan on cutting it into 3 separate strips.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I cut it with a pair of heavy duty scissors. It's not hard to cut. Main thing is to clean the are really well before you apply the keel eazy. We buy 91% isopropyl alcohol at Walmart for a couple of bucks. Works well for applications like this.
Ohnooze

Post by Ohnooze »

SWFinatic wrote:I cut it with a pair of heavy duty scissors. It's not hard to cut. Main thing is to clean the are really well before you apply the keel eazy. We buy 91% isopropyl alcohol at Walmart for a couple of bucks. Works well for applications like this.
Great TY!
atxkmm

Post by atxkmm »

I have used Keel Eazy as well and am happy with it but also make an effort to not abuse it so it lasts and is there for the real issues it should be protecting from. I also took an orbital sander to the bottom before cleaning as per instructions to take off all the roughest bits and that seemed to help (if you havent already done your installation).

Good luck!
Ohnooze

Post by Ohnooze »

I put keel easy on my kayak a week or so ago. Went to sea isle and drug the kayak over the rocks at the pier and it demolished the keel easy. Granted it was my fault but the stuff isn't indestructible. Next time I'll lay a big freaking towel down over the rocks. Pretty dumb idea to drag a 100lb kayak over big rocks...