St. Croix Mojo yak

Trit

St. Croix Mojo yak

Post by Trit »

I am looking at buying a St. Croix Mojo Yak rod. I really like the grip and shorter butt. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with this rod. I'm also debating on Medium or Medium-Heavy. I will be using it for inshore saltwater and occasionally fresh water bass fishing. Any suggestions on this rod would be appreciated.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: St. Croix Mojo yak

Post by Ron Mc »

If you're ever going to be throwing 1/8 oz jigheads, you'll probably be happier with MM.
I have a Crowder rated ML, but it's really MM that I fish 1/4-oz and heavier, and it's my general purpose inshore rod.
I break out 1/8 oz jigheads in an actual ML, 13Fishing Omen.

If you're throwing bait, and for bass fishing, dredging heavy lures, you'll probably like the MH better.

You probably can't go wrong with St. Croix.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Trit wrote:I am looking at buying a St. Croix Mojo Yak rod. I really like the grip and shorter butt. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with this rod. I'm also debating on Medium or Medium-Heavy. I will be using it for inshore saltwater and occasionally fresh water bass fishing. Any suggestions on this rod would be appreciated.
I have some St. Croix rods for Bass and love them so it would be worth a try. I would go with a ML or M as Ron pointed out. I use my Waterloo Phantom spinning (rated as a medium and moderate action) but it casts light jigheads really well. I used it for White Bass with a light 1/8 ounce Marabou jig.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

not recommending because of the price,
but my inshore spinning rod is St. Croix Legend Glass, and it's a jewel with light braid - it's actually lighter in hand than the Crowder IM6 graphite (E-series Lite).

Hobiefishing

Post by Hobiefishing »

We have 4 mojo yak rods. 2 spinning and 2 baitcasting. All are medium. My wife fishes under a popping cork without exception. I throw various lures but mostly spinnerbaits or jig heads 1-8-1/4 oz and we love them. Grips are outstanding. Have caught many reds on them up to about 30” and they bend like crazy but are super tough rods and very light. All the rest of our rods are also St. croix. They are as good as any others and my wife loves the purple. Lol.