Time for some GOOD NEWS! [emoji226]

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Time for some GOOD NEWS! [emoji226]

Post by Dandydon »

This morning on Capt. Mickey Eastman's "Outdoors Show," we finally got some favorable news from professional fishing guides.

Capt. James Plaag reported catching several limits of mostly small Speckled Trout yesterday, fishing mainly over shell. Although soft plastic tails worked, the hottest lures were the small, hard-bodied Barbaleto Léle and Hot Rod. He did occasionally land a speck up to 22", but a lot of smaller ones.

The water temps have come back up to about 62°, and the best fishing has come on the outgoing tides.

I'd rather report based on my personal experience, but information from pro guides is welcomed. The good news is that our Big Freeze seems to have spared most our Trout. I'll be out there soon. Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Time for some GOOD NEWS! [emoji226]

Post by Ron Mc »

great photo, and honestly expected report, but we need new photos of you holding fish and grinning. :mrgreen:
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

That’s good to hear. I went out 2 days ago and was finally able to get some specks in an area they were previously. Caught one keeper and one small guy, also a flounder. I’m ready for spring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
impulse

Post by impulse »

Was that on the south coast or up around Galveston? Here in Sea Isle, I only saw one dead trout and a few dead croakers.

The fish are starting to appear back in the green lights, if the Hobie Navy is looking for some good news... Last night, some decent reds chasing something (lots of tiny minnows like every year at this time).

We have kids coming for the weekend so I didn't pester the fish, hoping to leave them for the kiddos.

I'll be getting a new time lapse camera to replace the one that entropy killed last summer, hopefully in time for the fast and furious action that happens later this month.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

impulse wrote:Was that on the south coast or up around Galveston? Here in Sea Isle, I only saw one dead trout and a few dead croakers.

The fish are starting to appear back in the green lights, if the Hobie Navy is looking for some good news... Last night, some decent reds chasing something (lots of tiny minnows like every year at this time).

We have kids coming for the weekend so I didn't pester the fish, hoping to leave them for the kiddos.

I'll be getting a new time lapse camera to replace the one that entropy killed last summer, hopefully in time for the fast and furious action that happens later this month.
Yes, the south shoreline is heating up again. I haven’t been all the way down to sea aisle, but I imagine it’s doing the same. Caught my fish on a smaller profile Down South Lure. I started seeing the minnows like you mentioned as well

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Buddy of mine went out on a boat trip in Brazoria county and they got several trout to 20” and a few redfish including 2 slots. He said it wasn’t fast and furious and the big wind hampered fishing quite a bit, but they found some protected water and got on a few.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

All good info, Gents. I am headed to the Panama City Florida area later this week for a week, and I’m bringing my kayak this time. I’ve already got some launch points scouted out and it’s going to be fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

shoffer wrote:All good info, Gents. I am headed to the Panama City Florida area later this week for a week, and I’m bringing my kayak this time. I’ve already got some launch points scouted out and it’s going to be fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’m jealous haha. Be sure to post up some pics!