Gearlab paddles?

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Gearlab paddles?

Post by Prof. Salt »

I'm thinking about getting a Greenland style paddle and Gearlab seems to have some very nice models. Have any of you used or owned one who could tell me what you think of them?
mousefisher

Re: Gearlab paddles?

Post by mousefisher »

I used to be very into kayaking, but got out for more than a decade (almost closer to 2). I got a gearlab paddle when I started to try to get back into paddling (along with a new sea kayak that was more correctly sized for my current belly). It seemed to be a decently made paddle at a competitive price. I have no problem with the paddle itself, but I have not put enough hours on it to get past my old muscle memory of a conventional feathered paddle. The gearlab is my first Greenland paddle.

In all fairness, my attempt to get back into paddling did not work out as well as I had hoped. Hopefully will be paddling more this year.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Gearlab paddles?

Post by Ron Mc »

Glenn, I read a few reviews - probably not as many as you have. Their top-line paddle ends up with identical weight to your big bent-shaft Werner
The replaceable abrasion ends are a neat idea for how paddles too often get used inshore.

It looks like they're going through gyrations on blade design, and slowly working their way back toward the touring paddles we're familiar with.
Might be really nice with a boat that tends to oversteer like my little Kestrel.
I can also see an endurance advantage, but you'll be giving up speed.