Winter Time Fishing in SE Louisiana

Speck Tackler

Winter Time Fishing in SE Louisiana

Post by Speck Tackler »

I love fish anytime of the year but find the winter time to be the easiest when it comes to setting a pattern for trout. Louisiana has thousands of acres of wetlands/water ways which trout will frequent at different times of the year. Summer time haunts will typically be around the beaches and barrier islands since the trout need high salinity for their eggs to float. It is a misconception that trout need salt water to live though. I have caught summertime trout way back in the brackish marshes in the dead of summer. They typically are the larger sows and are feeding on fish vs shrimp. Fast forward to the winter time and the game completely changes. Trout are not very tolerant of cold water as compared to their cousin the redfish. It is because of this they will seek out the “deeper” holes to ride out the cold snaps. Deep is a relevant term. Deep in Louisiana means anything over 10 feet. Another factor to consider is current. Manmade dead end canals are a favorite spot for tout to winter. I always say pick your days. I could catch trout on those brutal cold days but why do it. I would rather fish 2-3 days after a front and the wind has died down. A sunny day is a plus because it is during these breaks from old man winter the trout will move into the shallows around the deep holes to feed. A swimbait on a ¼ oz jig hopped along the bottom is a good choice. I prefer to use twitch baits like the soft dine to target the bigger girls. Popping corks will work in the beginning but as the winter drags on the trout are slower to react and are not feeding on shrimp. I have included a link to how I fish the soft dine. Twitch, twitch, pause…… Tight Lines

https://youtu.be/lXhRKeUgidU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Winter Time Fishing in SE Louisiana

Post by Dandydon »

Thanks for the good fishing tips which I'll try out next time fishing our Texas Galveston area. I agree that Wintertime speck fishing can be better than other times of the year. Not nearly as many throw-backs and usually quality fish.

I'll also try out your "end of the canal" theory next time fishing the subdivision Bay canals. Would be nice to hook some big specks while casually casting to those small spaces. Maybe at night over the green canal lights...?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Speck Tackler

Post by Speck Tackler »

We typically do not do night fishing. I find the fishing is better after lunch since the sun has a chance to heat up the water.

3 reasons I think canals are good

1. They are usually deeper than the surrounding marsh
2. They offer some protection from the wind and may have cleaner water
3. Provide a location where the fish are not having to expend energy fighting the current.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Makes good sense. Thanks, Speck Tackler.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
TrumpkinTheDwarf

Post by TrumpkinTheDwarf »

Has this cold snap hurt the Louisiana fish like it has the TX mid coast?
Speck Tackler

Post by Speck Tackler »

So far..... so good. Looks like the temps got down to 45 F down in Grand Isle. When the water temps warm up we will see if any damage is done. Luckily our fishery is pretty resilient. We currently have a 25 fish limit on specks but there has been talk of dropping that down. I'm happy to go along with whatever Wildlife and Fisheries comes up with as long as that number is not zero.