Spring time gator trout

2 Weight Willie

Spring time gator trout

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

Spring time is one of my favorite times to catch big trout. I have broken my pb 3 times in the spring. But, they were live bait catches. As me being 14, I need a little help on catching gator trout on lures. In the spring.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
OldTownYakBoi

Re: Spring time gator trout

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

2 Weight Willie wrote:Spring time is one of my favorite times to catch big trout. I have broken my pb 3 times in the spring. But, they were live bait catches. As me being 14, I need a little help on catching gator trout on lures. In the spring.

In my experience I’ve had the most success with big plugs (top waters and twitch baits.) I’ve caught all of my biggest trout in June, all a few days within the new moon. Seems to me the bigger tide swing the better chance you have at a big girl. It all comes down to right place and right time. I’ve fished a single area for 3-4 hours picking up schoolies, and then all the sudden in the middle of the day(and heat) had a 27in slam my suspending plug. Another large trout caught a few months later was in the exact same area, I rolled up fished 15 min right ahead of a storm and landed my only fish, a 24 in toad. I’d say nearly 90% of All the trout I’ve caught over 20in were caught on a bigger suspending plug. I’ve caught a ton of 18-20 in trout on plastics, but no big girls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 Weight Willie

Re: RE: Re: Spring time gator trout

OldTownYakBoi wrote:
2 Weight Willie wrote:Spring time is one of my favorite times to catch big trout. I have broken my pb 3 times in the spring. But, they were live bait catches. As me being 14, I need a little help on catching gator trout on lures. In the spring.

In my experience I’ve had the most success with big plugs (top waters and twitch baits.) I’ve caught all of my biggest trout in June, all a few days within the new moon. Seems to me the bigger tide swing the better chance you have at a big girl. It all comes down to right place and right time. I’ve fished a single area for 3-4 hours picking up schoolies, and then all the sudden in the middle of the day(and heat) had a 27in slam my suspending plug. Another large trout caught a few months later was in the exact same area, I rolled up fished 15 min right ahead of a storm and landed my only fish, a 24 in toad. I’d say nearly 90% of All the trout I’ve caught over 20in were caught on a bigger suspending plug. I’ve caught a ton of 18-20 in trout on plastics, but no big girls.

Thank you for the useful information.Image

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

2 Weight Willie wrote:
OldTownYakBoi wrote:

No problem. So many people love the Corky, but I haven’t been able to gain confidence in it. I prefer the catch 2000. It doesn’t sink but suspends about a foot and will dive another foot or so when jerked. It is a perfect finger mullet profile.

Both these fish were caught on the catch 2000. The one above I caught around noon this summer. I guess I should also note ALL trout I’ve caught over 20in I was wading..

2 Weight Willie

OldTownYakBoi wrote:
2 Weight Willie wrote:
OldTownYakBoi wrote: In my experience I’ve had the most success with big plugs (top waters and twitch baits.) I’ve caught all of my biggest trout in June, all a few days within the new moon. Seems to me the bigger tide swing the better chance you have at a big girl. It all comes down to right place and right time. I’ve fished a single area for 3-4 hours picking up schoolies, and then all the sudden in the middle of the day(and heat) had a 27in slam my suspending plug. Another large trout caught a few months later was in the exact same area, I rolled up fished 15 min right ahead of a storm and landed my only fish, a 24 in toad. I’d say nearly 90% of All the trout I’ve caught over 20in were caught on a bigger suspending plug. I’ve caught a ton of 18-20 in trout on plastics, but no big girls.

No problem. So many people love the Corky, but I haven’t been able to gain confidence in it. I prefer the catch 2000. It doesn’t sink but suspends about a foot and will dive another foot or so when jerked. It is a perfect finger mullet profile.

Both these fish were caught on the catch 2000. The one above I caught around noon this summer. I guess I should also note ALL trout I’ve caught over 20in I was wading..

Nice. That's how all my 20inch + trout were caught also. (Wading)

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

2 Weight Willie wrote:
OldTownYakBoi wrote:
2 Weight Willie wrote:Thank you for the useful information.Image

What bay do you fish?

2 Weight Willie

OldTownYakBoi wrote:
2 Weight Willie wrote:
OldTownYakBoi wrote: No problem. So many people love the Corky, but I haven’t been able to gain confidence in it. I prefer the catch 2000. It doesn’t sink but suspends about a foot and will dive another foot or so when jerked. It is a perfect finger mullet profile.

What bay do you fish?

Aransas

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

2 Weight Willie wrote:
OldTownYakBoi wrote:
2 Weight Willie wrote:Nice. That's how all my 20inch + trout were caught also. (Wading)

What bay do you fish?

Aransas

Love that place, only fished there once. Quite a different fishery than the Galveston bay complex. I’m pretty sure more big trout are caught on the middle coast than anywhere else on the Texas Coast.

2 Weight Willie

OldTownYakBoi wrote:
2 Weight Willie wrote:
OldTownYakBoi wrote: What bay do you fish?

Aransas

Love that place, only fished there once. Quite a different fishery than the Galveston bay complex. I’m pretty sure more big trout are caught on the middle coast than anywhere else on the Texas Coast.

I do agree. A lot of people think that south of flour bluff all the the way to the border is best though.

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Dear 2 Weight Willie:
Are you really only 14 years old? Goodness gracious, you catch a lot of fish and talk trash far beyond your tender years.

Do your parents know what you're up to? Sometimes this site is rated "X," ha ha.

Please come fishing with the Hobie Navy sometime, but we'll need to check your personal credentials and flotation device.

Keep the fishing reports coming, young man! Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
2 Weight Willie

I really appreciate that. My father knows. Thank you for all the help you have provided.

Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

My pleasure.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk