DIY Pre-rigged Loop Knot Leaders?

Cobra2020*

DIY Pre-rigged Loop Knot Leaders?

Post by Cobra2020* »

Considering the advantage of loop knots for attaching terminal tackle (more natural action) and of direct leader attachment in general (more natural appearance, no additional weight to front of tackle, etc.) but the disadvantage of having to change terminal tackle on the water by tying it on the water, has anyone tried tying terminal tackle (lures or hooks for soft plastics) with loop knots to leaders with swivels at the other end of the leader for attachment to main line using a snap on the main line? This would require somehow storing the rigged terminal tackle for use after getting on the water (coiling the leader in zip lock bags, etc.).
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: DIY Pre-rigged Loop Knot Leaders?

Post by Ron Mc »

I always put a 1" perfection loop at the end of my fluoro leaders.
From there I can loop on a paper clip, bite trace or cigar cork

where I need light and tiny, have gone to Mako titanium bite traces - these work with UL - even on the end of your fly leader

and if you'd rather, easy to loop on another piece of sacrificial fluoro for tying directly to lures

For a quick leader repair, you can also tie a surgeon's loop in the end of your braid and loop on new leader.

Saltshiner

Post by Saltshiner »

I do pre-rig almost all my lures and jigheads with fluor leaders and swivels and change them using a snap hook on the main line. This allows me to change lures as needed easily, and minimizes my down time on the water. Plus I'm way better at tying knots at home than I am on the water, and I have more time at home than on the water.

I use the loop knots on lures which require more action such as the spoon and the hardbait in the next pic
20210101_162737.jpg
I do put my jigheads in little plastic bags to keep them tidy, but on the lures I typically wrap the fluoro around the lure and put the swivel through a hook held in place with a piece of wine cork. BTW this works much better on soft plastics, but is serviceable on hard baits as well.
20210101_162901 (1).jpg
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

I just tie on 6-7 feet of leader and change lures as necessary. Granted fishing spoons I'm either going gold or silver and for soft plastics on a jighead, I'm typically just changing out the former.