How to Fish During the Winter...plus video

TX All Water Fishing

How to Fish During the Winter...plus video

Post by TX All Water Fishing »

I am by no means an expert but I wanted to make a video that I thought might help fellow anglers, kayak anglers to be more specific hook up during the winter. During the winter, personally, I find it more challenging at times to find the fish. After doing research and talking to more seasoned fisherman and of course spending time on the water I learned where to look for the fish. Deeper water, muddy bottoms, oyster & shells, and wind & current all help warm the area they're in...
Below is a video link where I talk in more details
https://youtu.be/b6W66PBN-e8
Attachments
thmb1.jpg
2 Weight Willie

Re: RE: How to Fish During the Winter...plus video

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

TX All Water Fishing wrote:I am by no means an expert but I wanted to make a video that I thought might help fellow anglers, kayak anglers to be more specific hook up during the winter. During the winter, personally, I find it more challenging at times to find the fish. After doing research and talking to more seasoned fisherman and of course spending time on the water I learned where to look for the fish. Deeper water, muddy bottoms, oyster & shells, and wind & current all help warm the area they're in...
Thanks for useful information! Great video.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
K5RCD

Re: How to Fish During the Winter...plus video

Post by K5RCD »

:) Great video. Full of pertinent information, well presented, and the audio was great, clear and understandable. The closed captioning was synced properly and all the words and spellings were correct. Obviously a lot of effort was put into the entire production. Keep 'em coming.

Thanks.
TX All Water Fishing

K5RCD wrote::) Great video. Full of pertinent information, well presented, and the audio was great, clear and understandable. The closed captioning was synced properly and all the words and spellings were correct. Obviously a lot of effort was put into the entire production. Keep 'em coming.

Thanks.
Thank you I appreciate that... it takes time but I like to take the extra time to do things right. Thanks for watching
TX All Water Fishing

Re: RE: How to Fish During the Winter...plus video

2 Weight Willie wrote:
TX All Water Fishing wrote:I am by no means an expert but I wanted to make a video that I thought might help fellow anglers, kayak anglers to be more specific hook up during the winter. During the winter, personally, I find it more challenging at times to find the fish. After doing research and talking to more seasoned fisherman and of course spending time on the water I learned where to look for the fish. Deeper water, muddy bottoms, oyster & shells, and wind & current all help warm the area they're in...
Thanks for useful information! Great video.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thanks I really appreciate that, tight lines
RevoSully

Post by RevoSully »

Well done! Hoping to get out next week. Will put your recs to the test Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Good job on your video...

Yes, Winter fishing is different from our other 9 months in Texas. It's slower, but think you'd agree we catch better Speckled Trout when it's cold outside.

In the Summer I'm lucky to catch a 40% ratio of legal Specks. All those throwbacks drive me nuts. But Wintertime I catch few undersized fish. You trade quantity for quality. Sign me up. My best day ever for Specks happened in late November in cold water.

Keep 'em coming, All Texas. Your fishing points were good, but that color-changing HALO behind your head made me a believer.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Had the second vaccine shot today. Feeling kinda punky. Your video caused the punk to subside...,somewhat.

For years, I spent many a week-end at our small house in Pirate's Cove. Consequently, I fished the immediate area most of the time. Following is an account of my typical winter day fishing, which by dumb luck, happened to follow your recent fantastic and well thought out advice:

Shortly after dawn, I kayaked to the area roughly where the Pirate Cove channel met Lake Como. It's the deepest area around. I anchored and fished down wind using a curly tail dark grub behind a 1/4 lb weighted hook. Letting the bait sink to the bottom, I began a slooooooow retrieve, bouncing the bait accross the dark mud bottom. I was, more often than not, rewarded with small to slot reds, an occasional flounder, numerous whiting, and every now and then a decent spec.

When things slowed down and/or the sun began to warm things up a bit, I paddled into Danas Cove and positioned myself at the farthest down wind end of the cove...,inside the geo tubes. Trailing a water anchor aft to slow my drift, I proceeded to cast a Mirror lure catch 2000 down wind. I let it settle, and began the twitch-take-a-sip-of-coffee-twitch-again retrieve. The reward for such boring action was, every now and then, a lunker spec that easily fed both my wife and me.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Great fishing memories, KK! Thanks for sharing. Yes, that slow retrieve over mud bottom can catch you some solid Speckled Trout. But learning that ain't easy. Also have to recognize those delicate "thump strikes."

We older anglers have many stories to entertain and improve your fishing. Anybody else out there over 60?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk