South Bay Port Isabel

deweygonsoulin

South Bay Port Isabel

Post by deweygonsoulin »

Want to head down to Port Isabel sometime this month to fish South Bay. I've never been down to that area and am looking for some insight before I make a trip. Would Boca Chica State park be the best place to launch a kayak? Is the fishing in South Bay decent in December? Is it mainly redfish or are there snook and trout in there too? I plan on using light tackle and fly. Thanks in advance.
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: South Bay Port Isabel

Post by Neumie »

deweygonsoulin wrote:Want to head down to Port Isabel sometime this month to fish South Bay. I've never been down to that area and am looking for some insight before I make a trip. Would Boca Chica State park be the best place to launch a kayak? Is the fishing in South Bay decent in December? Is it mainly redfish or are there snook and trout in there too? I plan on using light tackle and fly. Thanks in advance.
Depending on the water levels you may have to walk/wade from Boca Chica to get to deep enough water. Isla Blanca Park on SPI has a boat ramp with an easy paddle to the mouth of South Bay (this is what I have done). Isla Blanca has $12 day use fee and reservations may be required due to Covid. I would personally launch from Isla Blanca so I could have access to deeper water as well as Mexiquita Flats.
flydoc

Post by flydoc »

As Nuemie said Isla Blanca rv park is your best bet.. About a mile to South Bay and Mexiquita Flats but can be a challenge going home with the prevailing SSE winds across open water.. Spent a month there last Feb. and did much better at MFlats.. Spook jr and gold spoons with the rocket launcher-- chart/white decievers and crabs on the fly.. I'll be there Jan. 1 for the month.. No snook to be found and empty lights at nite. Cheers
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

We should have been there yesterday and watched Space-X launch their prototype Mars rocket!. I was told that Isla Blanca Park was building bleachers for the events. It's only about 4-1/2 miles away. History in the making. I Need to schedule my next Progreso dental visit and an Arroyo City fishing triparound Space-X's launch calendar. It's only about 2-1/2 hours South for me. TexasJim
deweygonsoulin

Post by deweygonsoulin »

Neumie wrote:
deweygonsoulin wrote:Want to head down to Port Isabel sometime this month to fish South Bay. I've never been down to that area and am looking for some insight before I make a trip. Would Boca Chica State park be the best place to launch a kayak? Is the fishing in South Bay decent in December? Is it mainly redfish or are there snook and trout in there too? I plan on using light tackle and fly. Thanks in advance.
Depending on the water levels you may have to walk/wade from Boca Chica to get to deep enough water. Isla Blanca Park on SPI has a boat ramp with an easy paddle to the mouth of South Bay (this is what I have done). Isla Blanca has $12 day use fee and reservations may be required due to Covid. I would personally launch from Isla Blanca so I could have access to deeper water as well as Mexiquita Flats.
Thanks for the advice. I'll post a report once I find the chance to get down there.