TexasKayakFisherman.com est. 2000

Kayak fishing the Lone Star State...


Please visit our sponsor Slowride Guide Services
User avatar
By fishingw/f.o.c.
#2311208
Just picked up a thresher 155 and am needing to find some track bolts to mount rod holders (railblaza) and other things.
With the way things are now I have not been able to find any locally. (Corpus Christi Area) Is there any suggestions out there in what I can use?
User avatar
By fishingw/f.o.c.
#2311213
impulse wrote:I gave up on local supplies, especially during Covid.

https://www.amazon.com/Lixada-Stainless ... B072J2CSNW

https://www.amazon.com/YYST-Inch-Hardwa ... B07VSRX1PS

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kayak+rail+nuts

Of course, the best configuration will depend on what you want to mount...


Thanks for the tips. Bad thing is none of those will be here in time. I wanted to have it set up so I could use it this weekend. DANG YOU COVID!!!!!!!
User avatar
By Neumie
#2311215
fishingw/f.o.c. wrote:
impulse wrote:I gave up on local supplies, especially during Covid.

https://www.amazon.com/Lixada-Stainless ... B072J2CSNW

https://www.amazon.com/YYST-Inch-Hardwa ... B07VSRX1PS

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kayak+rail+nuts

Of course, the best configuration will depend on what you want to mount...


Thanks for the tips. Bad thing is none of those will be here in time. I wanted to have it set up so I could use it this weekend. DANG YOU COVID!!!!!!!

I would think Roys would be your best bet locally. Maybe West Marine? Could give Debi a call at Outlaw Embroidery (formerly Jerry B's Kayak) and see if she has some old stock lying around.

Is that really good hardware store in the Bluff still around? You could see if they have a tee bolt (similar to this https://www.homedepot.com/p/POWERTEC-1- ... /309586260) or flat heasd carriage bolt and grind the sides down (similar to this https://www.amazon.com/National-Hardwar ... B002KFZUJE)
By Yak Dog
#2311241
Congrats on the thresher purchase, that is my style of kayak long and lean. I usually keep extras of EVERYTHING but I’m out of the bolts you needed. Surely someone around you won’t be fishing this weekend and will let use them until you get yours. Good luck with the search
By ben_beyer
#2311256
richg99 wrote:Go fishing. Fix little stuff later. A rod; A PFD; a paddle. That's all you really need.


This is true and I would keep it simple especially if you haven't done a roll test in the kayak yet to minimize how much stuff you lose.

I've heard on the Bite Me podcast that kayak fishing is just another form of wade fishing. Less is more granted I don't take the minimum. But I could see throwing my wading sling and/or a small box of flies and going out looking for fish and still have enough soft plastics or extra spoons if I go through a few.
User avatar
By Ron Mc
#2311258
Since wind is just about a given on the coast, we always plan trips that get us to nice grass flats for drift fishing with a sock.
Of course that always includes beginning the day paddling upwind to structure where sight-fishing, including the fly rod, may pay off.
User avatar
By richg99
#2311276
Good for you. Since it will be windy, some kind of stick anchor will help a lot. My first one was a steel golf shaft with the head cut off. $2.00 at the Thrift store.
By outbreaker
#2311303
richg99 wrote:Good for you. Since it will be windy, some kind of stick anchor will help a lot. My first one was a steel golf shaft with the head cut off. $2.00 at the Thrift store.


My first one was a copper grounding rod from Home Depot. It worked great but was heavy.
User avatar
By Neumie
#2311304
richg99 wrote:Good for you. Since it will be windy, some kind of stick anchor will help a lot. My first one was a steel golf shaft with the head cut off. $2.00 at the Thrift store.

I went to Goodwill and bought the longest graphite shaft driver they had; just under 4' with the head cut off. Set me back $1. That was 15 years ago, still using it today.
User avatar
By Ron Mc
#2311305
Stevo bought a fiberglass gate hook from a tack store, made to lift gate latches from horseback.
It had a metal point and hook - he took the grinder to the hook and kept the metal point.
(green glass with black handle)
Image
He has the PowR Pole on his new Outback
By ben_beyer
#2311309
It looks like he has it going through a scupper. I wouldn't do that if you are sitting in the kayak. Just the gear it might be OK but I would still avoid going through the scupper holes.
User avatar
By Ron Mc
#2311310
He's wading the Little Cut shoal and catching February specs
If you're trying to stake and position your boat for fishing, you stake through the trolley ring, and position your boat on the trolley.

Image
Image
User avatar
By richg99
#2311311
Yeah, an anchor trolley is truly a great invention.

My first one was two pulleys and a carabiner in place of the ring. No screw holes. Tied it to the front and stern fittings.
User avatar
By fishingw/f.o.c.
#2311312
My current stake out pole is a old helicopter rod. Just under four foot. Took all the guides off and it works great.
My anchor trolley is attached to the kayak with looped bungee cords to absorb any shock from waves.
User avatar
By Ron Mc
#2311313
richg99 wrote:Yeah, an anchor trolley is truly a great invention.

My first one was two pulleys and a carabiner in place of the ring. No screw holes. Tied it to the front and stern fittings.

Rich, that works, and Steve above ran similar versions on 3 or 4 boats for most of 2 decades.
You can make a well-functioning tie-in trolley using the large (3/8") Ronstan Shocks in place of pulley blocks.

Image
Every boat should have some form of trolley - if you need to tow someone (paddle with wives, kids), you can tie his bow line and move it to your stern without either of you getting out of your boats.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
By fishingw/f.o.c.
#2311315
Ron Mc wrote:
richg99 wrote:Yeah, an anchor trolley is truly a great invention.

My first one was two pulleys and a carabiner in place of the ring. No screw holes. Tied it to the front and stern fittings.

Rich, that works, and Steve above ran similar versions on 3 or 4 boats for most of 2 decades.
You can make a well-functioning tie-in trolley using the large (3/8") Ronstan Shocks in place of pulley blocks.

Image
Every boat should have some form of trolley - if you need to tow someone (paddle with wives, kids), you can tie his bow line and move it to your stern without either of you getting out of your boats.

I really like those.... I might just order my self some. Those look a lot better then carabiners.
User avatar
By Ron Mc
#2311320
Z-cleats are good for quickly pinning your trolley in place.
This one, I had good access to back it from the stern hatch,
Image
but if you pick the right hardware, you can mount them on rails - rail nuts and short flatheads.
They're also useful for lashing other boats when a bunch are staking out, lashing the end of your drift sock deployment line, etc.
Image
The place to find piecemeal fasteners is Bolt Depot. They mail first class, their NH hub gets post out quickly, and they don't care how small your order, they give the smallest order the same great service as a big order.

My 14-year-old son and I have been kayak fishing, […]

If you had one lure to choose?

Anybody with a serious salt fishing history shoul[…]

My BIL and his brother had a very nice trip with D[…]

Looking for a member

Blake, not a great idea to offer your phone number[…]