Are reds and trout really that skittish?

impulse

Are reds and trout really that skittish?

Post by impulse »

I can't count the number of times I've gotten a hit within a second of bouncing a weighted popping cork off the head of a trout or a redfish. In fact, usually about 1/4 of my live bait bites happen within a second or two of the plop. And a large percentage of my artificial bites happen within the first foot or 2 of the retrieve, when I'd have figured a wary fish would be spooked by half an ounce of lead hitting the water.

And I remember decades ago when I lived in Corpus and waded the Laguna Madre, one of the best places to cast was right behind me, where I'd just waded through and stirred up a bunch of mud and bait. (I don't see that so much in Galveston West Bay with the sandy bottoms)

And even though they cheeze me off, I've done well on a shoreline right as a power boat wizzes by and its wake stirs up bait from the reeds. (I also figure the fish would starve to death if the noise of a power boat kept them from feeding here on a crowded bay.)

Yet I know how many puffs of mud I see when kayaking the shallows here in West Bay, often dozens of yards out in front of the kayak. And the same with wading. They seem so skittish and easy to spook. OTOH, I sometimes get bites within 10' of the kayak...

So, what's the general consensus about noises spooking the fish vs noises that draw them in, especially kayak fishing in the salt? Are they really that skittish, or are they attracted to noises that could sound like feeding activity?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Are reds and trout really that skittish?

Post by Ron Mc »

if you find them in a calm marsh or a dead calm day, both are pretty skittish. I find a fly rod to be a big advantage when you're standing over visible fish.
Wind is great stealth cover, and makes a difference.
Trout support is one of the best lures I've found for fish hitting it on the splash, but I caught a couple of fish Monday that took other lures on the splash.
I think if they're in a baitfish feeding pattern, the competition with their partners drives them to noises.
If they're creeping around quietly and, especially, not actively feeding, noises will drive them away.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Yep.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

My question is whether gamefish are more skittish during daytime or nighttime? Seems to me the most spookified fish are circling underwater lights on calm nights. Daytime seems to provide more distractions. Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

DD, most of the big trout I watch over green lights are lounging, and only occasionally flare and feed.
There's also no wind for you to see and photograph them.
I've caught them on my UL by quietly jigging a 2" swim shad - when they finally decided to eat, the bait scattered and my lure was waiting.
these aren't the big trout, but aggressive nursery trout
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Great nighttime photo, Ron. Our nighttime yak trips dwindle as the Winter takes hold. The daytime comfort levels improve along with the chances of hooking big Trout.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
2 Weight Willie

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

When fishing I find that if I am like 20yds away then bam there gone any suggestions. Cause I am trying to be really quite but,ya
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

My recommendation a quieter approach is to (a) use less weight and (b) if using baitcasters, and just before the lure hits the water, put your thumb on the spool and stop the movement. The lure will land softer and quieter.

If you are a spinning rod guy, I don't have much advice for you.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

shoffer, if you use manual bail, it's almost as quick as baitcaster - your hand is by the bail to feather the line coming off your spool, soft entry, bail is closed by hand and you're fishing with no loose line.
2 Weight Willie

Thanks for the info! :)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
2 Weight Willie

Have been using this for a while and it has worked great in rockport and baffin, but do you think it would preform as well in the dead man's hole area?Image

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk