Corpus Christi this weekend !!!

Hextro

Corpus Christi this weekend !!!

Post by Hextro »

Hello all,

Its been years that i've posted on here and really glad to see it doing well with lots of posts and activity. I was much more active when i was in Houston vs DFW now. I also lost my wife to cancer a few years back so lots of things have taken a back seat to holding down the fort with my two daughters 6/8 now. With that being said I really really want to get some good scoop about my trip this weekend down to Corpus! Its been years that I've taken the kayaks out far and also since i've been in the area at all. I rented a canal house just on the other side of the jfk causeway, Snoopy's and Clem's. I'm open to any and all advice so please feel free, but here are my questions.

1- Where are the best places to go to setup for the day on the beach, with the truck, yaks and gear that's not crazy crowded?
I'm guessing Mustang park will packed and not sure if going down to N Beach Access road is far enough or if i should go to the end of Park Road 22.

2 - Is there good bay fishing right around the jfk causeway / Snoopy's this time of year or best to go to the surf? it looks like i'm about 4 miles from the Corpus Christi bay and that's a long long paddle, but near where i'm staying looks to have some deeper spots and potential.

3- any BTB planned this weekend? Its been a while, but I still have home my made leaders and my btb gear itching to be used!

Thanks in advanced for any information that might help our trip go smooth and put fish on the dinner plates :D

-Hextro
SWFinatic

Re: Corpus Christi this weekend !!!

Post by SWFinatic »

Hextro wrote:Hello all,

Its been years that i've posted on here and really glad to see it doing well with lots of posts and activity. I was much more active when i was in Houston vs DFW now. I also lost my wife to cancer a few years back so lots of things have taken a back seat to holding down the fort with my two daughters 6/8 now. With that being said I really really want to get some good scoop about my trip this weekend down to Corpus! Its been years that I've taken the kayaks out far and also since i've been in the area at all. I rented a canal house just on the other side of the jfk causeway, Snoopy's and Clem's. I'm open to any and all advice so please feel free, but here are my questions.

1- Where are the best places to go to setup for the day on the beach, with the truck, yaks and gear that's not crazy crowded?
I'm guessing Mustang park will packed and not sure if going down to N Beach Access road is far enough or if i should go to the end of Park Road 22.

2 - Is there good bay fishing right around the jfk causeway / Snoopy's this time of year or best to go to the surf? it looks like i'm about 4 miles from the Corpus Christi bay and that's a long long paddle, but near where i'm staying looks to have some deeper spots and potential.

3- any BTB planned this weekend? Its been a while, but I still have home my made leaders and my btb gear itching to be used!

Thanks in advanced for any information that might help our trip go smooth and put fish on the dinner plates :D

-Hextro
Welcome back. Sorry to hear about you and your families loss!
Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with the area where you are staying. I know fishing is good right now around Wilson's cut which is not too far of a drive but not really within paddle distance from where you'll be staying.

As far as the beach goes it was closed to vehicle traffic. I'm still not sure if it is still that way and if so when it will open. Hopefully someone can help with this. Surf forecast for this Saturday isn't bad and for this Sunday looks great.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Hextro wrote:Hello all,

-Hextro
My condolences for you and your family's loss.

1. The Beaches are still currently closed due to Covid. I think I read somewhere Port Aransas may open up small portions of the beaches within their city limits, though I'm not 100% certain. You could set up along JFK causeway as it is somewhat beachy for you and your girls.

2. Not sure exactly you're staying whether it's Padre Island or Flour Bluff by your description. If it'd Padre Island side working the spoil islands and the guts in between is an option. Pakery Flats and Deadman's Hole are always a good option. If you're on the canals night fishing the lights is a way to beat the heat and be productive, just be polite to the homeowners and don't make too much noise. Access points may have changed sine you were last down so here's a Google Map with locations: CLICK.

3. Since the beaches are closed BTB is going to be difficult. The parking area around Bob Hall Pier has been the only access to the beach, but that may have changed since Hurricane Hanna. Some people have mentioned paddling out of Packery Channel, but I highly recommend you do not consider that option; it can get dangerous if the conditions are right.
Hextro

Post by Hextro »

Thanks for the replies!

also thanks for the scoop on locations and current standings. We called the local P&R offices and beaches open back up on monday for vehicles but currently open for pedestrians. Padre is 100% closed still.
I've fished nights/lights at tiki island for years with stealth and respect indeed. I will for sure check out my rentals canals while also bringing 1000w lights and two submersible lights too. Hopefully the kids will get on fish with live shrimp and we'll just have to walk our umbrellas, coolers, gear and yaks to our beach front spots. I'll for sure be bringing the folding wagon for this trip too. its been 5+ years i've been down this way and hope the weather cooperates with us.
We are litterally in shouting distance of the jfk on the canal strip that faces snoopys and saw the packery channel is super close and reachable, but once i'd get near the open water who knows what that water might be like.. so I didnt plan on going out that far or btb solo, other than running out some baits from the cast net. I'll have my Native ultimate with the new trolling motor setup for the bay and night, then take the Ocean spec for surf fun.
Thanks again for the scoop. i'll be looking at the map tomorrow of those spots!!
-tight lines
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I'm not on Facebook but a friend told me yesterday that Port A announced on their FB page that the beaches are now open.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Not to derail your post OP but I wanted to clear up any confusion I created regarding beach access. Port Aransas did open the beaches last Sunday as they ran out of money for the PD to enforce the closure. Since then Nueces county has closed the beaches again to vehicle traffic and are enforcing the closure with county PD. They have also changed some of the parking rules. Bottom line no beach access for a kayak launch. The closure is currently set to expire on August 17th. The person I spoke with at the COPA said they feel the current beach access ordinance will be extended today to encompass the labor day holiday weekend. Grrrrrr.
Asalgado

Post by Asalgado »

Hey hextro. I will be in chorpus looking to do inland fishing early am saturday morning. Im willing to team up and do some fishing if you are willing. I have only fished chorpus once so I am not too familiar with it. Let me know what you think.
Asalgado

Post by Asalgado »

Where are good places to park if I fish deadmans hole or packery flats. Hope you can help