Jamaica Beach Boat ramp and parking

razz25

Jamaica Beach Boat ramp and parking

Post by razz25 »

I see the ability to launch from the boat ramp but the parking lot is permit only or you will be towed. Where would you park?
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Jamaica Beach Boat ramp and parking

Post by Neumie »

Not really from the area, so maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in, but your next best option is Galveston Island SP, but if you're not able to get a permit 11 mile/Settegast Rd. Is Waterman's still an option? Maybe Sea Isle to the South?
razz25

Post by razz25 »

Sea Isle has shut it’s boat ramp down. Completely gone. GSP is fine for the day but not for night. Which means Waterman’s may be the only one left for fishing the lights in the area.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

About 2 months ago, I launched my Skiff there. A homeowner nicely told me that the ramp was going private and signs would be up in two weeks. Sounds like that has happened. Me personally, I would not park there at all and risk it. Watermans/Settegast is an option, but Sea Isle is do-able still. We have night fished there and launched from the homeowner ramps and navigated the chain crossing it with no issues. We have parked there overnight and no one has towed us or said a word.
impulse

Post by impulse »

razz25 wrote:Sea Isle has shut it’s boat ramp down. Completely gone. GSP is fine for the day but not for night. Which means Waterman’s may be the only one left for fishing the lights in the area.
Just to clarify... The public boat ramp attached to the marina is gone. I'm told it was a parking space issue, especially related to trucks pulling trailers... The private Sea Isle boat ramps are still there, with chains across them that can only be opened with a resident's key.

I'm not suggesting anyone violate private property. But if all you're launching is a kayak, I'd suggest buying some bait and beer at the Sea Isle marina and asking if it's okay to launch off their fueling docks or their 100 yard bulkhead. They have plenty of overflow parking for vehicles without trailers. We also have bandits who launch at the private ramp without ever opening the chains, since that's not generally necessary to launch a kayak. And I see a lot of scofflaws launching near the (locked) fishing pier and parking in one of the few spots there.

Like all beach communities, we have curmudgeons who would string me up if they knew I suggested outsiders fish in our lights or launch on POA property. But most Sea Isle residents are nice folks- as long as you're not causing issues. So this isn't meant to be permission to fish here. Just food for thought.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

I have a friend who lives on a canal at Sea Isle and lets me launch from his dock whenever I want, but I have found it easier to launch from the private ramps at the marina. And I agree with impulse that it is always a good idea to patronize the places when possible. The problem with night fishing at Sea Isle is the marina is usually not open before or after (unless like me you find yourself pulling an all nighter and you stop in for coffee and a bag of ice at 8:30a). I would also reiterate that even though you are fishing in public waters, it is 100% their light. I always give the person on land the right to fish the water and hope that when I pass back through later they have gone in for the night and left the light on.