Lighthouse Lakes/Aransas Pass post Hurricane Hanna

deweygonsoulin

Lighthouse Lakes/Aransas Pass post Hurricane Hanna

Post by deweygonsoulin »

I am planning on driving down early tomorrow morning to Aransas Pass to fish lighthouse lakes. I've fished this area several times and I'm familiar with the different lakes, but I don't get down there too often since I live in Houston. I was wondering if anyone knows how the water clarity and water levels have been since the hurricane? Looks like there is supposed to be a high tide around 7 am at the Port A jetties. I will be fly fishing and if the water is dirty and high I may scrap the trip since it would be difficult to do any sight casting. Thanks in advance.
outbreaker

Re: Lighthouse Lakes/Aransas Pass post Hurricane Hanna

Post by outbreaker »

I was there 7/27-7/30. Bay was about 1-2 feet high and the tide was going out all day, every day. High tide at most caused a slack tide.

Water clarity was good by Galveston standards and ok by CC standards.

When I left the bay was almost back to normal and it was clearing up well. I did the best with pinfish near the channels next to grass flats.
deweygonsoulin

Post by deweygonsoulin »

Thanks for the report. Good to hear that the bay is clearing up and returning to normal. I can work with water clarity that is good by Galveston standards.
outbreaker

Post by outbreaker »

If you have a fly that looks like a pinfish I would start with it. Everything was hammering pinfish. Mullet, croaker, shrimp and cut ladyfish were not nearly as productive.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

the traditional salmon fly Mrs. Simpson tied on a size 2 stainless hook using saddles or pheasant rump makes a great pinfish.
Tie in a piece of kiptail or similar stiff fur, a pair of hen saddles in back will give you vertical bars. If you have the pheasant rump, use a pair up front, or a pair of rooster saddles and pinch off the tips to get the triangular shape.
Frreed

Post by Frreed »

My go to fly is a clouser that, I think, is a good pin fish pattern. I usually tie it on Sixe 6 Gamakatsu semi circle hook.the colors are black, chartreuse, pink and white, with a few stands of crystal flash. OF course that is black on top with white on the bottom as the fly works through the water. I have had best results with red dumbell eyes in XS for shallow and medium for deeper cuts.

Even thought I use four colors, I try to keep it pretty sparse.

Specks will kill tihs fly when the standard chartreuse and white get ignored.
deweygonsoulin

Post by deweygonsoulin »

Thanks for the tips on flies. I've tied up a variety of different patterns. Primarily EP style baitfish, clousers, and some crab/shrimp patterns. I'll post a report after the trip.