Highland Bayou North of Louis' Bait Camp

Texas NP

Highland Bayou North of Louis' Bait Camp

Post by Texas NP »

Greetings,

I'm a long-time freshwater fisherman but have never fished saltwater or brackish water and I'm hoping to start with Highland Bayou or the marsh around Hitchcock. I have a Blue Sky Angler 360 w/a retractable prop and I also have a paddle, push pole and a micro pole anchor. I've been looking at Google Earth and several forums for tips and advice.

1. Since I'm new, would it be a good idea to start around Louis' Baitcamp and work my way north/northwest, working drains, points, grass lines?

2. Should I start with live bait and a popping cork until I learn and become accustomed to the bayou?

3. Better to fishing a falling tide, being cognizant of the water depth?

I appreciate any input or a direction to any fishing groups in the area that hold meetings and don't mind a newbie gainiing knowledge from their experience (if meetings still take place these days).

Thanks!

Jason
marshcowboy

Re: Highland Bayou North of Louis' Bait Camp

Post by marshcowboy »

I know this is a few days late, but welcome to the salt!

Hopefully you’ve found some great tips and advice online, as well as getting out on the water and learning through experience. In any case, I’ll do my best to help answer some of your questions.

1. Being new to the bays and marshes, working north of Louis’ Bait camp would be a good place to start out to get your “sea legs.” It’s fairly protected, but I would suggest staying close to the shorelines and shallows while exploring. Put in at the ramp, cut across to the the neighborhood and follow that shoreline all the way around, looking for signs of active fish, structure, etc. Another, better option (IMHO) would be to take a right under the bridge and explore the marsh areas to the west. I’ve never been on nor do I know much about the how the Blue Skys handle, but it does get shallow and tight in some areas out that way.

2. Transitioning from fishing freshwater, I’m assuming you are familiar with fishing artificial artificial baits; if so, throw some plastics, shallow cranks, topwaters, and spinnerbaits. Back in the day, coastal anglers down here cut their teeth and ripped some serious fish lips on bass tackle. I don’t mess with bait, but you cannot go wrong with a Popping Cork setup rigged with Gulp! (or shrimp if you prefer). Be sure to adjust your leader depending upon the depth and which part of the water column the fish are feeding in. Typically, I will throw a PC rig around drains, ledges, and guts, but they’re one of the most tried and true setups around the gulf and will work dang near anywhere.

3. As far as tides are concerned, incoming or outgoing tide will work. A wind drive current will even do the trick. With inshore predatory fish, moving water and the presence of nervous bait fish is key, as well as structure.

My best advice, which is not original but from TKF and fellow fishermen, is to research the area you are planning to fish on Google Earth and go out and learn it through experience. Keep reading up on the archives and forums!

This article/information by other members here on TKF really helped me out when I first started out:

http://www.buggs-fishing-lures.com/mars ... -tips.html

As far as meetings, CCA hosts area chapter meetings, however, I am not certain what the current protocol is with everything else going on. Aside from that, there are usually kayak fishing meet-up, Facebook groups (sorry, I don’t have Facebook and can’t tell you what the names are), and anglers willing to go out and fish.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions! Good luck and tight lines!
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

I can recommend PACK to you.
We are still meeting for kayak fishing trips, but it's online meetings these days.

I'm hosting a trip in a few weeks down at SLP for beginner/ intermediate skill. I'll post up details some point soon, but you can check out details here:

https://www.packtx.org/Events/tabid/53/ ... fault.aspx
Texas NP

Post by Texas NP »

Thank you Marsh Cowboy and Chubs! My apologies for the delay as I'm just now seeing this, but this is extremely helpful information. I greatly appreciate it.