Footwear While in the Kayak

topwater trout

Re: Footwear While in the Kayak

Post by topwater trout »

I wear wading boots because 90% of the time i anchor up and wade
WC53

Post by WC53 »

When my wife tells me I can’t where the Merrell Moab in public anymore, I rotate them to my kayak. My area is muck, oysters and occasionally some hard bottom...
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Found the freshwater paddling shoes I'm buying - Chaco Torrent, good price on Amazon.
Looks like ankle seals enough to keep sand and rocks out, and they drain.
Also lots of traction and narrow for a footwell, "co-developed with professional whitewater athletes"

Received my new Chacos - these are killer - great drains, great soles, lightweight.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Reporting on the Chaco Torrent Pro for freshwater paddling - these are a new all-time favorite.
Half the weight of the Chaco sandals with built-in neoprene socks they replaced (I liked the older Chacos, but the straps pulled out from the soles).
Better made, at least partly because they're not made from recycled tires
Imageok, bought blue because their Amazon price was $30 less than the retail black or grey.
Easy on and off, with a lace toggle and keeper.
Good support and easy fit in a narrow footwell.
Not for quicksand, but a good-enough seal around your ankles to keep sand and rocks out.
Serious traction, including the slimy boat ramp at Boerne City Lake.

And killer drains through the soles.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Tried on a pair, original style, and went fishing. Knowing that I did not get out of the kayak so not worried about losing them. I now have several dots on my feet where the sun gave me a burn.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Tom, there's no place these shoes would let sun through to your feet - of course you must use sunscreen down to your ankles.
DHardy

Post by DHardy »

Simms Zip it flats boots work well. Good protection at the bottom, around the foot and the top of the foot. Fairly durable, lasts about 2 years. I reside on North Padre and fish at least 3 times a week. Good around oysters. They don’t have drainage which is a negative. I mainly fish a Diablo, so not as much wading as some of the other posts. My brother likes the soft science and he’s out of the kayak wading more than I. It seems like any well made footwear well used around oysters has a shelf life of 1-2 years.