Beach camping - Mustang Island State Park - current status?

Endo

Beach camping - Mustang Island State Park - current status?

Post by Endo »

Does anyone happen know if the beach area part of the State Park land from the access road back up to Fish Pass jetties is open to camping currently?

To clarify, I am not talking about the walk-in part where you camp in their main area. I"m talking about the open drive-in portions of their park on the other side of fish pass jetties.

Their website doesn't really mention it, and I know they closed it to all camping 2-3 years ago while they figured out their "new policy"...coming from incidents where cars were running over tent campers.

I used to camp there for years up until 2-3 years ago...and now of course we have the covid complications.

Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Beach camping - Mustang Island State Park - current status?

Post by Neumie »

Endo wrote:Does anyone happen know if the beach area part of the State Park land from the access road back up to Fish Pass jetties is open to camping currently?

To clarify, I am not talking about the walk-in part where you camp in their main area. I"m talking about the open drive-in portions of their park on the other side of fish pass jetties.

Their website doesn't really mention it, and I know they closed it to all camping 2-3 years ago while they figured out their "new policy"...coming from incidents where cars were running over tent campers.

I used to camp there for years up until 2-3 years ago...and now of course we have the covid complications.

I think you're best bet is to call the state park directly. I never knew they allowed camping on the bay side of Fish Pass.
Endo

Re: Beach camping - Mustang Island State Park - current status?

Post by Endo »

Yeah, i've tried last few days. I can't get an answer.

I camped along that stretch for many many years, no one ever said anything. Then 2 years ago, a ranger told me to pack my tent up. Said they had closed the stretch for camping. at that time there were some high profile incidences in other parks where drunk beach drivers had run over people in tents at night, killing them.

So Mustang Island had closed temporarily until they could figure out what their policy was going to be...at least that is what i was told.