The Complete Guide On Cleaning Your Best Multi Tools

RaulAlonso

The Complete Guide On Cleaning Your Best Multi Tools

Post by RaulAlonso »

So after spending time and effort searching and reading all the best multitool reviews available on the internet, you finally have your preferred multi tool on hand now. As the multi tool is a combination of various tools such as a knife, pliers, saws, bottle and can openers, rulers, and much more, taking care of it is not an easy job.

Moreover, a multi tool is something you carry with you daily. It is one of the things that have the highest frequency of use as you will find it necessary in most situations. But, when did the last time you clean it? Did you pay it enough attention? If you do not want to spend money on another one very soon, listen to us: it is time to clean your favorite tool.

Steps to clean your best multi tools

Even though you are possessing the most useful multi tool, you still have to give it the proper care to make sure it stays with you for a long period of time. So now we are going through basic steps to maintain your tool.

1. Step 1: Remove all the bits of gunk

Remove all the gunk stuck in the pivots and handle with a toothpick. If you see lint trapped in the knife, better remove it with a compressed air (like what you are doing with your keyboard). However, the knife should be dry in this step as it is harder to take out all the tint when your knife is wet.

2. Step 2: Clean your knife

For a multi tool, you have to open and close each one independently to clean them. Normally, the most important and also the hardest part to be cleaned is the knife. After removing all the gunk and tint, it is time to get your knife wet to remove any sticky things on it. However, let’s cover your knife with tape before cleaning to avoid accidentally cutting yourself.

You can use a toothbrush to wash your knife, pay more attention to the locking mechanism, pivot, and their surrounding areas. It does not matter if yours is a best rated multi tool, remember to never use anything abrasive as it will harm your knife permanently.

3. Step 3: Soak your knife

Some people think that scrubbing the knife in soapy water does harm to their knife. However, do not be afraid to give it a good soak if your knife has been covered with so much crud. Hot water will help all the dirt get away quickly and easily but it should not be so hot that it will burn you and destroy the knife handle.

4. Step 4: Deal with tough dirt

If soapy water and tools like a toothbrush do not help, try some rubbing alcohol and then rub off the dirt. Although alcohol evaporates, clean that area anyway.

5. Step 5: Do not disassemble the Knife

In some cases, there may be still some gunk left in the pivots and you can not clean them up if you don’t disassemble your knife. But you know what? Disassembling voids your warranty! So never do that, send it to the manufacturer instead to have professional cleaning.

6. Step 6: Dry your tool completely

This step applies to all multi tools, including those coming from the best multi tool brands. A very small amount of moisture still leads to corrosion and destroys the wooden handle.

7. Step 7: If rust appears

Do not worry, rust does not mean your knife is ruined. When rust appears, it normally lies on the surface only so it does not cause any damage. However, leaving rust on the surface for too long

will really destroy your toll; therefore, you should take care of rust at the moment you see it.

You Might Also Enjoy: https://thekinglive.com/how-to-close-a-pocket-knife.html

To remove dust for a multi tool, you can count on some following products:

- Metal Glo

- Rust Eraser

What you need to do is to put a small amount of the rust remover and wait for a couple of minutes before scrubbing it away with a mildly-abrasive pad. If it does not work for the first time, repeat the process at least 2 – 3 times. When you have been satisfied with the result, rinse the tool again.

8. Step 8: Oil your tool

Even top rated multi tools need to be added oil to keep all the pivots and locking mechanisms work well. There are actually a lot of questions regarding this topic, some of the typical questions are:

- How often to oil?

It totally depends on your frequency of use. Basically, you should oil every time you clean your knife. Even when you do not use it, make sure to oil every 3 months. If you are living in a humid climate, oil more often, maybe 1 month.

- Which oil should I use?

Some popular answers are Mineral oil, Break-free CLP, Finish Line Dry Teflon, Sentry Solutions Tuf-Glide, …

- How to apply oil?
  • Apply one or 2 drops of oil in the pivots and locking mechanisms;
  • Use a toothpick to make sure oil is placed precisely;
  • Open and close the tool several times after applying oil.
- Important things all should know about oil?
  • One or two drops of oil are more than enough;
  • If your knife will be used on food, use edible oil only;
  • 3-in-1 oil is the greatest oil for knives that are not used on food;
  • No vegetable and motor oil should be used
Find More Information: Best Multitool: Top-Rated Multipurpose Tools for Every Task

The bottom line

Hopefully, our post prepares you with all the necessary information in order to keep your good multi tool works well and stays with you for a longer time. If you have not got any multi tools on hand, remember that you can always check them out through our other posts, where all the best and incredible tools are recommended to readers. Comment to let us know your opinions and do not forget to share if you have other great cleaning tips, we would be glad to see your comments.
Last edited by RaulAlonso on Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Need an advice

Post by Neumie »

RaulAlonso wrote:My name is Raul and I'm a long time lurker of the board. I love hearing everyone's advice and hearing about everyone's trips. Now with that out of the way I have a few questions:

1) What would be the best reasonably priced spinning rod for trout/redfish? ($100 or less)

2) After moving to Tyler from the metroplex, thus being farther from PINS, is Sea Rim/Sabine a good alternative? If so where should one concentrate? BTB? marshes?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Welcome, glad you've decided to join.

1) Lots of good options for around the $100 range. Falcon Coastal, Shimano GLF, Penn Battalion, or Ugly Stick Inshore Select. The Waterloo Phantom is a good rod, but just over $100. The Academy brands seem to get good reviews as well; All Star and H2O Express. If you're throwing artificials I'd look at the Falcon, Shimano, or Waterloo rods. These are rods with lighter tip and faster action, which is what I prefer for artificals.

2) From a BTB stand point PINS is popular for anglers to target Kings and snapper at the platforms. Whereas farther up the coast BTB anglers are targeting Bull reds and sharks. Sabine Lake is a great fishery and marshes hold lots of fish and alligators. Generally speaking you'll have to adjust fishing dirtier waters along then upper coast than what is found around PINS. Not sure with your experience level, but I would start in the marshes/bays before going BTB so that you become comfortable in your kayak.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

I started off kayak fishing for trout and reds using an H20 Express rods from Academy. I still use my Texas Slam version, which was around $50, has markings on it at 14" for flounder (soon to be outdated), 15" for trout, and 20" for redfish. I think it even has a marking for oversized red as well. The next rod I purchased was a Waterloo Phantom after fishing with a guide who was sponsored by Waterloo and using his rod while on the trip with him. There is a small but perceptible difference between the $50 rod and the $100 rod. Depending on how much you fish and how you fish, it may or may not make a difference to you. If you are throwing live shrimp under a popping cork, either would suit you fine. If you are trying to finesses swim baits, I think spending a little more may be worth it. I also have a 7' 6" Falcon that is under $100, maybe around the $80 range, that I can cast a topwater a country mile. It also has very good action.

With a budget of up to $100, you should be able to find a really nice rod that suits your needs. Of my three rods under $100, I'd rank them as Falcon, Waterloo Phantom, and H20 Express. But oddly, I fish the Waterloo much more than the Falcon, and my son mostly uses the H20 Express.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I can put in a recommendation for the Tackle Direct Silver Hook spinning rod. It's well-made with Fuji concept guides, IM6 blank, which is the toughest graphite offered, though not the lightest. Pretty blue blank, and both the color and action reminds me of my 30-y-o Loomis GL2. Compares in quality to Crowder $160 E-series Lite, though not quite so nicely finished, and not USA-made.
I have the 3-pc version of this rod for back-up in my bow hold, and loaner for outfitting friends.
The reel, Tica Libra SX3000, sold by Tica America on Amazon, also gets my recommendation for a well-made, cost-effective, workhorse inshore spinning reel, with long stroke spool, good line management, and long casts. Great carbon drag with fine adjustments and no fade - a good ringing drag clicker in the forged spool.
Also not lightweight, but a bit lighter than Daiwa Legalis.
If you follow this reel on Amazon, they occasionally drop the price for a loss-leader, and I bought the one just above for $50.
Tackle Direct also has this reel in stock.

Last edited by Ron Mc on Thu May 28, 2020 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I'm gonna get myself in lot's of trouble, but I would like to give you some heart felt advice.

I'm an 81 year old who has been enjoying kayaks and fishing for the past 71 o those years. I retired from the business world in 2003 and went kayak fishing full time. I'm an expert you'd think, but that is not so. I still consider myself to be a student, and I learn something new about kayak fishing almost every time I glance at TKF....,or go fishing.

I do have some advice I'll pass on, based on experience, trial, and error. Lot's of error.

First, let me say that we have some really great kayak fisherman on this board. Each has something to offer. However, we happen to have one of the most savvy fishing equipment gentleman (Never having met him, I assume he is a gentleman) on here that I have ever had the pleasure to...,read.

I thought I knew a bit about rods ( I build what I use), reels, and auxiliary equipment. But, this guy Ron Mc. has forgotten more than I ever knew about fishing equipment. Got a question about reels, rods, line, lures..,just ask him, and I promise you will receive a prompt, no bs answer.

The other bit of advice I would like to pass on will not be accepted in some quarters. Yet, you mentioned something that led me to believe you might be interested in Beyond the breakers. Don't get interested it it! The rewards, whatever you might think they are, are not worth the risk.

In my opinion, BYB should be limited to that very small group of dedicated, experienced, and properly equipped kayakers who respect the Gulf waters and understand that they can bite you in the butt faster than a pissed off rattlesnake.

We have a plethora of inland waterways that hold a large number of various species of fish. It would take a lifetime to explore even a small sampling of our gulf coast waters. Lot's of adventure awaits what is in store for you, your kayak, and the ton of equipment you will eventually end up owning.