Maintaining our launch sites and rights to access

crusher

Maintaining our launch sites and rights to access

Post by crusher »

I've mentioned this just a couple times over the course of 5 or 6 years.
I keep a couple heavy duty trash bags in my truck behind the back seat, the black or brown Hefty 30 gal type bags, and easily pick up a bags worth of garbage when a kayak launch site is trashed. I also always have gloves and hand sanitizer or a way of cleaning my hands too. Peoples left behind sh%*t is pretty nasty.

I urge you all to pick up a bag of trash now and then. In just 4-5 minutes I get a small area pretty cleaned up whether its just a few items or a whole bag. Bank fisherman in my opinion are the biggest culprits, but we can be the good guys/gals on this topic. Some people seem to harvest oysters and leave a bunch of trash too. The judgmental part of me always notices the beverage of choice and wonders who the slobs are. It varies, by the way.

Here are a few specific spots I've picked a lot of trash up at - feel free to help out if you ever launch from these places. Or maybe you just learned of a new place or two to put in to the water. :wink:

29.012718, -95.218449
28.978849, -95.269690
28.980637, -95.270279
28.979297, -95.284970

Thank you for helping keep out locations open and accessible. These locations don't have Blue park or county trash bins, so the trash needs hauled out. Again, thank you for even little efforts to help solve our collective trash problem.

And one mandatory (and old) picture for the fun of it.
Attachments
habu-flattie.jpeg
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Maintaining our launch sites and rights to access

Post by kickingback »

:clap: Good job and info. I do the same when I can.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Those launch spots are always getting littered with trash. The one just south of your Drum bay launch is usually where I launch from and I always pick up the trash when I'm leaving there. I've seen a water heater, (couldn't take that out!) and all kinds of other things. One time there were 3 bull reds, partially filleted, an undersized cobia and some other big species I didn't recognize left right at the bank partially in the water. Looked like some poachers went over there to clean their catch but gave up trying or something. Thank you for your contribution to that area. I think that bay area is a treasure and needs to be taken care of!
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Great reminder to leave it better than you found it.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I always try to do what I can to clean up after the 2-legged pigs that were there before me. Disgusting!

TexasJim