New to Salt Fishing and This Board ( Cypress, TX )

TXZ0603

New to Salt Fishing and This Board ( Cypress, TX )

Post by TXZ0603 »

Just moved back home to Houston, cypress area, ( born and raised here ) from Rochester MN last year. I got into kayak fishing out there and although I honestly can't say I ever caught anything, I had fun. My yak has been up in storage since the move back and now Im looking to take it out, and do some fishing. I only have fresh water stuff if that really matters :shrug: I have 2 open face rods and 1 bait caster. ( never been able to get the hang of the bait caster. Any tips y'all can throw my way or spots to try is greatly appreciated. I am using search and just keep seeing dollar signs at all the new stuff I want. lol. My wife and I are trying to get out to Galveston this weekend and do some shore fishing, she does not kayak, but have no clue really where to go. Last time I purposely went to Galveston was as a teenager in the 80's. As for my kayak, its a OK Prowler 13. nothing fancy, just a home made scupper dolly and scotty rod holder. Thanks everyone

Jerry
Attachments
23081397-A518-46E8-BB7F-4FC57FBC5D0B.jpeg
SWFinatic

Re: New to Salt Fishing and This Board ( Cypress, TX )

Post by SWFinatic »

Welcome to the board! I'm not familiar with that area but there are a lot of guys on here that are.

What type of baitcaster do you have?
TXZ0603

Post by TXZ0603 »

Thanks SW! Its an Abu Garcia I believe with 20lb braided line.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

In terms of casting a baitcaster after tying on your lure push the button and let the line free fall to the ground. It should fall slowly without any movement of the rod but should not fall fast. Tighten the cast control (knob if your reel has one) until the lure slowly falls. If your model has casting brakes adjust those too (they will be on the opposite side of the reel from the handle). When you cast make a smooth motion. A hard casting motion can get the spool spinning fast and cause backlash in a hurry. Good thing about kayak fishing many times you don't have to cast a long distance. Takes a little practice but worth it once you get the hang of it.
SteveRetrieve

Post by SteveRetrieve »

That kayak should actually be pretty good for the coast.

For the baitcaster, I'd say start with the brakes tight , so that it wont cast it far but it also wont back lash. Then gradually lessen the tension.

A lot of good areas on the upper coast. Brazoria county has a lot of good marsh fishing, look on google earth around the mouth of the San Bernard River. I've also had good luck in drum bay. Christmas bay has a lot of hard-packed sand that can be waded.

I rarely fish West Bay by kayak, mostly just because I fish it by boat with my buddy when he invites me. When I'm in the kayak I like to get away from power boats.
TXZ0603

Post by TXZ0603 »

Thanks for the info. Going to practice a bit at a local pond in the neighborhood. That way I don't have far to go to fix it. I know a future mod I have wanted for a while is a rudder kit and have been looking at fish finders. I think to some here they are taboo, sorry. I like the helix 5 because but don't know a thing about down imaging or side or chirp ect.... Hopefully have it out in some water soon.
TX All Water Fishing

Post by TX All Water Fishing »

I stink at tossing a Baitcast and I'm still learning but a friend told me to use Power Pro Super 8 Slick braided line for getting out birds nets and man does it help.
I'm a local Youtuber, I fish the Galveston - Freeport area so if you're looking for any tips check out my channel.
Texas All Water Fishing
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtoAus ... subscriber

I try to be on the water at least twice a week. One thing you might want to consider is wade fishing my friend Mike just put up a very good wade fishing video which you can use a lot of the same information while kayak fishing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKWBAyuJms0

When people ask me for a good safe kayak launch to start kayak fishing or saltwater kayak fishing I recommend Galveston Island State Park. It has a beautiful coastline filled with a healthy fishery, it's some what protected from boats unless they are shallow running boats. Use Google Maps and scout out areas you want to work, fish Dana Cove it can hold some good trout and reds at times. Also Lake Como side but there's more traffic because it's deeper and known for specs.

Good Luck and Tight Lines
TXZ0603

Post by TXZ0603 »

Thanks for the links TX All Water Fishing. Hopefully the rain stays off and I can get out there this weekend. Got out to academy today and picked up a few things also waiting on a response about a rudder system I’m trying to get. Here’s what I got today, probably not useful....lol
IMG_3463.JPG