Drum Bay

Chad51

Drum Bay

Post by Chad51 »

Longtime mid-coast (Aransas Pass, Rockport, ULM) fisherman here looking for some advice on the Galveston area. Never have fished the Galveston area but have a family trip next Thursday-Monday, renting a house in the Jamaica Beach area. I'm bringing the yak along to do some fishing/exploring. Looking at Google Earth I see several areas to possibly launch in the Drum Bay area. Not looking for anyone's honey holes, just some general advice for Drum Bay (launches, bottom conditions, etc.) or any other decent legal launch locations within 30 mins of Jamaica Beach. Any advice would be much appreciated! Just looking to shorten the learning curve in this area as much as possible to maybe get on some fish during our short stay.
SteveRetrieve

Re: Drum Bay

Post by SteveRetrieve »

I usually put in at one of the kayak launch points off blue water highway. There’s a couple to choose from that are easily seen on google earth. You definitely won’t be the only vehicle parked there on the weekend.

The bay is small enough that you’ll easily cover it in the few days you’ll be there. Lots of shell bottom to fish but it can get very shallow. I usually don’t fish it when the water is low. The old ICW runs through there and up to Christmas Bay, with shell flanking both sides of it for a pretty obvious fishy spot. I usually bounce a heavier jig off the bottom while I’m there too. It’s 8-10ft deep in some places

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk