SPI South Bay

japheth.garcia

SPI South Bay

Post by japheth.garcia »

Planning a trip to SPI South Bay. Does anyone know the closest point to park my truck. I can yak the rest of the way.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: SPI South Bay

Post by Ron Mc »

I've heard it's easier to cross the channel from Isla Blanca rather than to park at Boca Chica
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ms ... 51167&z=13
flydoc

Post by flydoc »

Mesquita flats just east of Long Is. and north of South Bay Pass is another option. Did well in there last Feb for reds and trout.

Spook jr on top and decievers on the fly. Both sides of the channel to the marina cut were good.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Looks like some pretty shallow areas so be sure to check tide charts.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I've launched from Isla Blanca and paddled to South Bay; it's not a bad paddle. It gives you the opportunity to fish South Bay and Mexiquita Flats. Also, fishing north to the Coast guard station is also very good. Worht the entrance fee for a more secure parking spot and not having to worry about potentially getting stuck in the sand. Also, it's a pretty far drive to go all around the Brownsville Ship Channel if you're coming from SPI or PI.
TarponTime

Post by TarponTime »

japheth.garcia wrote:Planning a trip to SPI South Bay. Does anyone know the closest point to park my truck. I can yak the rest of the way.
Take 4 towards Boca Chica. A long detour sure, but beats the even longer paddle. The best areas are the southwest end of bay. IMO. It is a long paddle from Isla Blanca ramp. Not to mention the $10 entry. Fish the many channels and careful of the PBs in a hurry to fish an area for 3 min. before moving on. Good luck.