Hangry redfish: worth fighting the winds

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Hangry redfish: worth fighting the winds

Post by Prof. Salt »

Last week I went out and knew the winds would become strong but I needed to fish. I located a couple of schools of tailers and got down to business!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYdyMqVuf00&t=9s[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYdyMqVuf00&t=9s
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Hangry redfish: worth fighting the winds

Post by kickingback »

Glad you caught a few nice ones Prof! The video was great. Love how you switched to fly and immediately nailed them post open face spin cast. Thanks for sharing!! :clap:
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Very nice!

A couple questions. How hard was it to adapt to using a fly rod sitting down in a kayak?

Also what size flies are you using with a 4wt?

I have a TFO Professional II 4wt as well but mine is the 8' since I bought it when I lived in West Texas for trout in New Mexico. I plan on getting out to the Sam Houston National Forest as this COVID19 situation continues to improve. I also have a BVK 4wt but I need to get some casting lessons as it's a bit fast/stiff for me to really get a bigger fly out. And I have other fly rods too.
TX All Water Fishing

Post by TX All Water Fishing »

Nice! Way to fight those winds and reds :dance:
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

ben_beyer wrote: How hard was it to adapt to using a fly rod sitting down in a kayak?

I didn't really think about doing things differently while sitting down. I know line management is tricky, but a towel across the center console area helps a lot. You won't get long distance casts while sitting, but if you take full advantage of the kayak's stealthy abilities it will help you get close enough to get within range.

Flies have to have limited bulk and weight, but bead chain Clousers, crab flies and smaller EP flies cast fine. My hook sizes run from 8 to 1/0.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Thanks!
I’ve got to start throwing my fly rod more, even when I don’t think the conditions warrant it. Nice job!
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Prof. Salt wrote:
ben_beyer wrote: How hard was it to adapt to using a fly rod sitting down in a kayak?

I didn't really think about doing things differently while sitting down. I know line management is tricky, but a towel across the center console area helps a lot. You won't get long distance casts while sitting, but if you take full advantage of the kayak's stealthy abilities it will help you get close enough to get within range.

Flies have to have limited bulk and weight, but bead chain Clousers, crab flies and smaller EP flies cast fine. My hook sizes run from 8 to 1/0.
Thank you!