The CORONAVIRUS-Bad for fishing?

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: The CORONAVIRUS-Bad for fishing?

Post by Ron Mc »

24 hr/day news had to change from reporting news to finding what they could make into news, spinning it, rehashing it, and keeping it going for 15 days until they could find the next "monumental" event to repeat the process.
Somewhere along the way, entertainment became more important than facts.
Those of us who don't find it entertaining don't get bothered, because we simply don't watch it.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

In my own opinion I see the liberal media making the scare prevalent to Americans when they have no facts or evidence. It's all about trying to make Trump and his admin look bad instead of getting the facts and actually helping Americans!
I think the liberal media and liberal politicians pushing this took stock in masks before they started their rants and their blame game to get the masks to sell and now they are either scarce and hard to find, sold out in Walmarts everywhere and the price of the masks being elevated to take advantage of the scare someone is doing. It's sad to see what is going on in our country but I hope it will be over soon.
No need for a mask if you don't go out or are not around others. Don't worry about getting any masks. If the virus does make it to our area then you should be aware of the facts an what to do but DO NOT PANIC like I see Americans doing right now from the lies and non facts they are hearing from bad sources.
I checked both of the Walmarts and other stores close by liek the pharmacies and they are all sold out! Wonder why?!?!? Sure wish Americans would work together instead of stirring up hate and blame for something Americans cannot control except to ban or block entrance to the US from other countries infected. When will this madness end... :x
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

It's all Trump's fault!

I've got better things to do than to worry about the virus.

Course, I'm staying away from big crowds and Chinese restaurants, but I'll leave the face masks to others (wearing my fishing balaclavas, however, is cool?).
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Mar 02
In Transit to Next Facility

Mar 01
12:02 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Feb 26
2:44 pm
Processed Through Facility
ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS)

Feb 25
12:20 pm
Processed Through Facility
TOKYO INT V BAG 2

https://factcheck.afp.com/novel-coronav ... mail-bound
USPS Los Angeles P &DC wrote:The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the new strain of coronavirus is unlikely to spread via packages or products shipping from China:

“In general, because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, there is likely very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures,” the agency said. .
Holy cow, Los Angeles Post Office is so slow, I'm surprised they're not instead decrying coronavirus as an excuse.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

adding a PS - the media scare has sent the world's postal systems, especially USPS, into a tizzy.
There has been no progress on the tracking above during the past week, and my Boca bearing order due today from Florida woke up in Albany, NY this morning.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Covid-19 is now pretty widespread, becoming more so daily and it is likely, unless you crawl into a hole someplace away from all people, that virtually all of us will be exposed to the virus at some point in the near future. What happens from that point will vary.

You might not get the virus in spite of contact with people and surfaces that contain the virus. You might get infected, but be asymptomatic. You might get an illness that resembles the cold or an ordinary flu and then recover normally without ever knowing you had Covid-19. It’s much less likely for you to develop a serious illness from Covid-19 that requires hospitalization or is life threatening, unless there is something already seriously wrong with you.

More circulating in areas with lots of people in close contact with each other, the more likely you will be exposed to Covid-19. The more you touch your face , mouth , eyes, nose, or any other orifice with your hands or someone else touches the same, the more likely you get the virus. The more you neglect to thoroughly wash your hands, the more likely it is you get the virus.

It’s all just percentages and likelihood. The less you have contact with people, the lower the chance, but it’s going to be hard to shrink that number to zero. If you are a risk taking health care worker who just loves to mingle unprotected with sick people, then your chance of getting Covid-19 will approach 100%. All the rest of us will be in the middle somewhere.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

USPS nonetheless stated the Washington postal worker who contracted coronavirus did not handle mail, and contracted the virus from travel.
USPS wrote:Regarding the importation of packages, the CDC states there is likely very low risk that the COVID-19 can be spread from products or packaging shipped from China, because of poor survivability of coronaviruses on surfaces. Also, according to the CDC, there currently is no evidence to support transmission of coronavirus associated with imported goods; and there have been no reported cases of COVID-19 in the United States associated with imported goods.
It won't slow us down fishing in 2 weeks.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

CoronaVirus Prevention

Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic.

Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April. Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.

2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.

3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.

4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.

5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.

6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.

7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:

1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.

I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us! Jim

James Robb, MD FCAP

~~~~~~~~~~

CORONAVIRUS

1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold

2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.

3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.

4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.

5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.

6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.

7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.

8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.

9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.

10. Can't emphasise enough - drink plenty of water!

THE SYMPTOMS

1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days

2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.

3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.

4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.
Attachments
4khepq6suwj41.jpg
88064721_3005269946201727_2512002564703125504_n.jpg
88064721_3005269946201727_2512002564703125504_n.jpg (48.38 KiB) Viewed 7119 times
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Thanks, Captn. Jack. Helpful information.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

https://www.city-journal.org/coronaviru ... he-economy

Can’t just blanket shut everything down, doing that has a price and health consequences that might be far worse than Covid-19 might have been or might be all on its own.