Lost Hobie Mirage Drive

ZacPac

Lost Hobie Mirage Drive

Post by ZacPac »

Friend was using my Hobie Pro Angler in East Matagorda bay and wave flipped him.
Mirage drive came loose and is lost . Had blue fins. Anyone sees them please contact me
https://goo.gl/maps/zfsDmAKzwzFYZH6v9
SWFinatic

Re: Lost Hobie Mirage Drive

Post by SWFinatic »

Hate to hear that. Once that wind kicks up just a little that area gets pretty rough.
johnboat

Post by johnboat »

That is a tough break. I bought my PA14 used. The prior owner was smarter than I would have been. He equipped my mirage drive with a lanyard to attach to the boat. The male strap clip stays with the lanyard/drive. The female clip is on a short loop attached to the rail. I've never tipped but its easy to take this precaution. Again, I would have never thought of this but fortunate my seller did. Maybe Hobie through dealer can replace at reduced cost. It can't hurt to ask.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Live and learn. Thanks for reminding us- those things are expensive!

A couple of items to consider, though I suspect a $1.00 piece of paracord would do the trick if you don't want to pony up $20-$32.

https://www.amazon.com/PROYAKER-Leash-M ... B0754YK6BW

https://www.amazon.com/Hobie-Leash-Kit- ... B004CG9RGQ

I'd also consider keeping a fishing magnet in the 'yak with me. I've never needed it while kayaking, but it sure pulls a lot of tools out of the canal for me when I'm doing projects.
ZacPac

Post by ZacPac »

Well it’s a long shot but if anyone is in the area on the google link and the water is clear and you happen to come across these pedals I would appreciate it
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Last time I was at ACK on Bissonnet they had a drive on sale. It was new if I recall because someone bought a new Hobie and swapped out for an upgraded drive.

Shoffer put a cord/clip on my drive for me when I bought my Revo last year. Haven’t needed it yet but makes me feel better knowing it’s there.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Quick Mirage drive story:

Two years ago I was yak-fishing the beautiful Lake Chelan on the Washington State/Canadian border with a good friend in two rented Outbacks. My buddy was inexperienced and capsized his kayak close to the shoreline in 15-ft. deep lake water.

Of course the Mirage Drive plummeted to the lake bottom. I was mad because I'd have to pay for the $500 lost drive!

Then my crazy buddy said he'd go get it. I laughed at his folly. But Chuck dove down 3 times and came back the third time carrying the thing. Wow.

That lake where we yakked is over 1,000 feet deep! I was relieved and blessed.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk