Kayak Repair Followup

BeachAggie

Kayak Repair Followup

Post by BeachAggie »

I recently bought a blue Cobra Navigator that had 2 5" long cracks with holes along both sides of the front of the seat area. I got it to see if I could repair it. Spoiler alert repair successful! The cracks as seen below were on either side and looked like the previous owner attempted a botched repair using a 5 gal bucket and a soldering iron. I worked in plastics for a few years and have a decent base knowlege of their properties. I repaired the cracks with a torch and filling/layering feedstock of HDPE I got from plastic cups. The problem IMO with the soldering iron method is that often only one surface heats up sufficiently to bond material. Both need to melt to properly bond. The issue with repairs in general are that plastic thermo sets. This means it becoms very brittle. Same as metal needs to be annealed after quenching plastic is annealed after thermoforming in factories. We can't really do this process for plastic at home. So to combat flexing in an area with brittle welds I layered plastic welds thickly and then formed some strips of 1/8" aluminum to match the contours and riveted them above and below the weld. That way they recieve the majority of the stress instead of the weld. I also added a piece of bike inner tube between the aluminum and the yak as a seal. If anyone wants the Yak it's for sale will be in the classified section. $300 but I'm flexible.

Oh and HDPE that they make these dang things out of is a low surface energy plastic and can't be glued to with any product. If they made them out of ABS or another plastic we could glue and solvent weld them and repairs would actually be simple and effective... but they don't so here we are.

I repaired my prowler 15 over a year ago and it's still holding up great.
Attachments
20200121_190612.jpg
20200118_111224.jpg
20200118_111145.jpg
Screenshot_20200121-205045_Gallery.jpg
Kalait

Re: Kayak Repair Followup

Post by Kalait »

I am trying to repair my 10+-year-old Ocean Prowler 13 with a hole in the stern keel. The hole is about the size of a pencil. The plan is to overstuff the hole and trim it to look ok, then layer the area with two layers of HDPE2 with wire mesh between the layers. Hoping to find yellow but already have red and white. I have reached out to Ocean for material that will match the original material.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Kalait wrote:The plan is to overstuff the hole and trim it to look ok,
Curious what you mean by this?

On the material you may find a 5 gallon bucket that matches your kayak if you don't have any luck with OK. I would also add a quality keel guard after the repair.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

My plan is to put a better plug into the hole, then trim the material as close as possible to the keel and cover it with a layer of HDPE2 with wire mesh, and then a layer of yellow (from Ocean Kayaks) over the repair. I will then cover the area with Gator Guards Kayak Keel Guard per instructions.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Ah gotcha! Should work out great.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Will post pictures as I complete each step.
Attachments
IMG-1114.jpg
IMG-1043.jpg
IMG-1042.jpg
IMG-1041.jpg
impulse

Post by impulse »

I'd suggest looking at some YouTubes, searching for "kayak keel repair" Some great ideas there. Also some real hack jobs, but that's part of the entertainment, and what NOT to do.
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Now to check the yak out, with the keel protectant tape it should have a very good seal.
Attachments
IMG_1155.JPG
IMG_1154.JPG
Aft end of the keel repair.
Aft end of the keel repair.
The final repair
The final repair