Corpus, Aransas Pass and Rockport

blaynewallace

Corpus, Aransas Pass and Rockport

Post by blaynewallace »

I am planning to head down to Corpus this weekend and take the yak. I am gonna fish the canals on the island but was also wondering where else anyone would recommend me going. I have swimbaits, topwater and gulp shrimp. I will use live bait if necessary, especially since I'm taking the girlfriend out. Any help is greatly appreciated!
SWFinatic

Re: Corpus, Aransas Pass and Rockport

Post by SWFinatic »

This weekend looks like it is gonna be tough with the cold front coming in Friday afternoonish. Be safe and watch the wind forecast from multiple sources.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Plan around the wind.
If we get anywhere from NE to SE, Trout Bayou on Estes Flats is tough to beat.
Brown & Root flat fishes well on a SE.
If we get a strong NW, East Flat on Mustang Island (across PA ferry) is at the top of the list.
It's always good to paddle upwind to fish structure, and time it with tides, then drift-fish home with a drift sock at your stern.
Slopes fish well on a cold front and especially with a falling tide.
If you go to Lighthouse Lakes you can be on fishy water sooner than just about anywhere else, and a NE will also get you home from there.

I haven't looked at the forecast, and think when and where you go relative to the wind and cold.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

With the conditions this weekend, canals would be preferred over the bay system. Shrimp, its whats for dinner.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Capt. Joey Farah (spelling) had a great suggestion. Use your favorite jig head, say 1/8 ounce and attach a DOA shrimp. Sounds like a good idea, will add to my tackle box.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Saturday, I'd stick to the canals and deeper water with the forecast front pushing through Friday evening. Sunday is looking good, I'd look at Kate's Hole or Chruch (Deadman's ) Hole.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

listen to Neumie - he's covered more water and has a bigger database than anyone else any of us know.