Garcitas Cove

speck81

Garcitas Cove

Post by speck81 »

I kayak Garcitas Cove in port lavaca for the first time last month and it was awesomeness. Wonder how the tides are during the winter and if it's worth driving a hour to kayak it. Thanks in advance and tight lines friends.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
SWFinatic

Re: Garcitas Cove

Post by SWFinatic »

Here's a tide chart from NOAA.
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/map/index.html

Port Lavaca is the nearest station to Garcitas. Right now looks like water is a little high. Watch it and see what this next front does. Water levels should stabilize by next weekend.
speck81

Re: RE: Re: Garcitas Cove

Post by speck81 »

SWFinatic wrote:Here's a tide chart from NOAA.
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/map/index.html

Port Lavaca is the nearest station to Garcitas. Right now looks like water is a little high. Watch it and see what this next front does. Water levels should stabilize by next weekend.
Thanks SWFinatic

SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Yes sir. It's been about a year since I fished that area but seems like the tide was around 3-3.5 hours behind to the mouth of Garcitas.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Placedo & Garcitas Creeks and the Lavaca River are popular winter fishing spots in the Port Lavaca area.
speck81

Post by speck81 »

SWFinatic wrote:Yes sir. It's been about a year since I fished that area but seems like the tide was around 3-3.5 hours behind to the mouth of Garcitas.
Yeah I fished it a month ago and couldnt believe how many pods of reds I seen. I can't wait to hit it agian soon.

roninrus1

Post by roninrus1 »

You might want to check but I think that area may be a hazardous pollution area. Have not fished it in 20 years but at one time it was a chemical hazard area and the state warned against eating fish from that area.
TrailChaser

Post by TrailChaser »

roninrus1 wrote:You might want to check but I think that area may be a hazardous pollution area. Have not fished it in 20 years but at one time it was a chemical hazard area and the state warned against eating fish from that area.
Absolutely! Alcoa was dumping an average of 67lbs of metal mercury into the bay every day for years! Now we have to deal with the fabled MethylMurcury Monster that invades innocent fish like an elemental parasite passing from one host to the next. The Methyl Monster gets it's start in the vegetation that grows on the contaminated muddy bottom. When the mullet, piggy perch and pinfish eat their veggies they are also eating the monster. The more they eat the more elemental mercury they build up. It doesn't hurt them, just hangs around in the flesh.

When the mullet slips up one day and gets eaten by a redfish, speckled trout, or maybe a sail cat they might die but the methyl monster just keeps on hanging around in the new host. The more baitfish that get eaten the more contaminated the predator fish will become. So, bigger fish will have a higher chance of being more contaminated.

Do YOU need to seriously worry about it? Probably not. For most adults the methyl mercury is so insignificant that it's not even worth thinking about.(unless you plan on eating contaminated fish for every meal for a couple of years, then it still won't kill you. It'll just dim your bulb, and you might start acting like the mad hatter) Who needs to worry about it and avoid eating ALL fish? Females who are pregnant or plan to be one day in their future. I'm not an educator or scientist, so I'll just leave it at that. Feel free to do your own research.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

https://chriskresser.com/5-reasons-why- ... misguided/

Perspective on Mercury in fish. Long story short, Mercury in fish may not be as a big a negative in saltwater fish as it is in freshwater because saltwater fish tend to have more selenium than freshwater fish. Selenium > Mercury = good, Selenium < Mercury = bad.

Many regular eaters of saltwater fish on the gulf and Atlantic coast have elevated Mercury levels.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5316155/

http://www.oceana.ca/sites/default/file ... _Final.pdf
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

[quote="speck81"]I kayak Garcitas Cove in port lavaca for the first time last month and it was awesomeness. Wonder how the tides are during the winter and if it's worth driving a hour to kayak it. Thanks in advance and tight lines friends. "

speck81 - if you don't mind me asking, where did you launch?
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Drifting Yak wrote:
speck81 wrote:I kayak Garcitas Cove in port lavaca for the first time last month and it was awesomeness. Wonder how the tides are during the winter and if it's worth driving a hour to kayak it. Thanks in advance and tight lines friends. "

speck81 - if you don't mind me asking, where did you launch?

My guess is that he launched from 6-mile boat launch.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Thanks for the reply Yakety_Yak. Figured that might be the case but was hoping for something a little closer to the Garcitas side.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

speck81 wrote:Yeah I fished it a month ago and couldnt believe how many pods of reds I seen. I can't wait to hit it agian soon.
Capture.JPG