Flycasting Videos

The Wizard

Flycasting Videos

Post by The Wizard »

The two flycasting videos we did, "Haulin' The Mail" and "The Pirates of PA" were compiled from two flycasting classes we did in Aransas Pass back in the early spring.

I videotaped all the participants on the first day of class and then on the second or third day to compare casting style and form on the first day with the results after the flycasting sessions. The improvements (with the exception of Barry Evans, who was pretty much right on from the beginning) is pretty remarkable. There seems to be something about being able to watch ourselves, particularly in slow motion, that really helps connect our brains with our bodies. It is a very effective learning mechanism.

Anyway, I came home, took the raw tape and edited it, then added some graphics and music. The results are really fun. I gave a copy to everyone in the classes and I will continue to do that in the future classes. Sort of a nice remembrance of good weekends.

I am not joking one bit, being able to see casting in slow motion and to analyze your cast and those in class with you makes a huge difference. I experienced it myself when I went through the LL Bean certification school. They videotaped my casting, as well as everyone else, and it helped immensely in improving my style. I mean it was immediate.....

Anyway, the videos are really fun and pretty funny, too.

Bill
MarkT
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by MarkT »

If I wanted to video myself in the act of trying to fly cast should I be able to do it with my Sony Handycam? Are there any tricks to being able to capture the fly line with a video camera, like position relative to the sun or some special background conditions? No, Roostertail, I'm not going to hang a 1/4 oz spoon on the end of my leader for special effects.

Mark
The Wizard

Video

Post by The Wizard »

Mark,

Yes, your videocamera should work just fine, I use a Sony video camera for the tape I capture.

The trick seems to be to do it in the afternoon or morning so that the light is from the side, and then stand against something that contrasts well with the flyline. Trees and shrubs work great, or a building works well.