Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Re: Kayak Suggestion

Post by larry long shadows »

Ocean Venus 11 is a nice lil yak ..buy used
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Who is it for? Your SO? A growing child?
jmac

Post by jmac »

I have 12 year old who is small for his age. I wonder if a small yak really is better. He won’t have to lift it or load it without help, and I know that for me the longer the kayak the better the paddling.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

My daughter did great in a Backwater Dagger at 13’, as proof paddled 13 plus miles without complaint down the Colorado River below Wharton when she was ten years old and under 5 feet tall. She’s now 19 but only 5’2” tall and the 14’ WS Tarpon suits her well. She is and always has been a quick study, physically strong in her core and upper body, and gets how to do most things in short order. I’d evaluate the abilities and aptitude of the person in question and select the kayak based on that. Some kids or small stature folks might enjoy a pedal drive more not possessing much of any upper body/core strength or coordination. A friend of mine has almost unlimited endurance, far greater than my own, in his ability to walk very far over rough terrain, but lacks much of any ability to paddle a kayak for any distance or at a reasonable rate of speed. We don’t all have the same abilities and that often shows even when we are not yet grown.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

My son is 12 and 4'11" and he has paddled a Perception Pescador 12 for a couple of years, though lately he had enjoyed being pulled around by friends who have trolling motors on their kayaks. He has also paddled my T160 with no problem. I'd be happy to let your son try either of them out.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

started my daughter paddling tandem with a cockpit in the sternwell of my T160 (the reason I bought the boat).
Within a year, she had to be in a boat of her own, and bought her a Redfish 10.
Both have been great boats, and the Redfish has been a great borrow boat for smaller grownups, but also doubles up as a river boat for me.