Corpus in November

blaynewallace

Corpus in November

Post by blaynewallace »

I'm planning to head to Corpus/Aransas Pass in November around thanksgiving and want to take my Yak. I've fished a bit of lighthouse lakes but this trip I was also thinking about fishing the lights at night in the canals around Corpus. I've never fished the lights but have heard it can be very productive. I'm a bass fisherman so this is pretty new to me but what baits/lures would you consider using for the lights? Are there areas that are more productive than others? I'm not looking to get any secrets but just some general advice would be helpful.

Thanks!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Corpus in November

Post by Ron Mc »

swim shad, like tsunami SS3, and even better, 2" versions from Berkley and Storm (wildeye shad).
You can rig the smaller ones in tandems, like spec rigs, using 20-lb fluoro leader with a surgeon's loop tied between between the lures, making two uneven length leaders
glow, blue, purple, all great colors
You can buy the TTF SuperShad rig ready to fish in yellow and glow
jerkbaits, like this YoZuri twitchbait
Hogy's epoxy jigs in 3/8 oz (2-inch)
lots of little jigs and shiny 2-3" plugs with dark colors - you're imitating glass minnows and finger mullet for the most part
there will also be swimming dime-size crabs and shimp, so suspended lures and clicking or rattling lures are effective.

The general advice part is spare your casts to let the fish relax. move into the lights and feed - watch for fish sign - jumping bait or surface slashes and then cast.
The fish are also usually in competition mode - several fish will chase your offering and if not several fish, none will chase it.
Changing up lures is a great idea when they're in this schooling mode.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Corpus in November

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Any 3 " silver jerkbait will kill it in the lights. Fish it very erratically