Fishing Aransas Pass/Port A area tomorrow (Fri)

mikefos

Fishing Aransas Pass/Port A area tomorrow (Fri)

Post by mikefos »

Howdy, first trip down here in about 3 years. Camping in Port A this week and next. Weather looks good tomorrow w/ low tide around 11am-12pm from what I can tell. Have fished B&R, East Flats, Lighthouse Lakes, Estes Flats in previous years. Any suggestions for tomorrow?
Thanks,
Mike
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Fishing Aransas Pass/Port A area tomorrow (Fri)

Post by Ron Mc »

in all the big water, I would head for the skinniest place you know - maybe where you couldn't get into in previous trips.
You may not be able to find parking for B&R.
for LHL, I like the next cut south off Aransas Channel from the normal Marker 60 pass.
If you read my Estes report, two weekends ago, we found big water fish along Talley Island shore in the very top of Trout Bayou and the old 100-yr cut. The Talley Island sloughs also had good reds.
S wind, close to Traylor Island shore between Big Cut and Little Cut would be my call. Also the Traylor sloughs.
Tough to beat East Flats if you get a NW wind.

watch this thread for updates on Tropical Cyclone 16, which may not yet be reflected in the current forecast.
http://www.corpusfishing.com/messageboa ... hp?t=38794
mikefos

Post by mikefos »

I assume I can still launch at Palm Harbor bulkhead. Any idea of what time the office opens and the fee these days?
Thanks.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

mikefos wrote:I assume I can still launch at Palm Harbor bulkhead. Any idea of what time the office opens and the fee these days?
Thanks.
You can still launch at the bulkhead. I pay the $5 parking fee (cash) when I get back in after fishing, because I'm usually there before anyone is in the office; never had them say otherwise. Be respectful if you're there early. I turn off my headlights (just use running lights), turn off my radio, and keep door closing to a minimum as not to disturb those who are still sleeping.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

when you're talking to them in the Palm Harbor office, they don't like the word "launch" - you're paying $5 for Parking.
(may be an insurance issue)
They love our business.
You can pay when you return - they've stated time and again how trustworthy kayakers are about this.
Make sure you park past the dumpster.
mikefos

Post by mikefos »

Great, thx for the info. I'll be heading over there in the morning.
Mike
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

you're welcome and good luck.
Give us a report when you can.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

mikefos wrote:I assume I can still launch at Palm Harbor bulkhead. Any idea of what time the office opens and the fee these days?
Thanks.
Also don't drive down the road nearest to the water. That row of RV spots is off limits to vehicle traffic.
mikefos

Post by mikefos »

SWFinatic wrote:
Also don't drive down the road nearest to the water. That row of RV spots is off limits to vehicle traffic.
ok, thx
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

SWFinatic wrote:
Thanks.
Maybe, but it's also a dead end.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Neumie wrote:
SWFinatic wrote:
Thanks.
Maybe, but it's also a dead end.
Yes sir it is a dead end but apparently it's a bid deal if you do. When I was there about a month ago I stopped in and talked to the lady that runs the park and talked to her about launching our kayaks there. She was super nice and said no problem launching and parking as long as we don't turn down the last road. Then she told me again before I left. She said those who stay on that road will be calling her immediately if someone even pulls into the road just to turn around. Since she put quite a bit of emphasis on it I wanted to pass it along.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

SWFinatic wrote:Yes sir it is a dead end but apparently it's a bid deal if you do. When I was there about a month ago I stopped in and talked to the lady that runs the park and talked to her about launching our kayaks there. She was super nice and said no problem launching and parking as long as we don't turn down the last road. Then she told me again before I left. She said those who stay on that road will be calling her immediately if someone even pulls into the road just to turn around. Since she put quite a bit of emphasis on it I wanted to pass it along.
Interesting. I haven't driven the full length of it, but I have gone a trailer or two length wise down it to turn my truck around. Thanks for sharing.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I can see that being a problem before daylight with angst and headlights glaring into folks homes (I think most of that row are permanent residents). But you can make the same turnaround maneuver with stealth and no headlights - treat it like fishing.
I've also made my T-turnaround on the previous drive and backed to the bulkhead. Even then, using your foglights with your headlights off keeps the lights out of residents' windows.
(cropped out of Lou's cheesecake slot red photo)