Thoughts on Older (10+ Years) Ocean Kayak Trident Prowler 15

Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts on Older (10+ Years) Ocean Kayak Trident Prowler 15

Post by Neumie »

ben_beyer wrote:Question on the rudder cables. What do I need to do to prevent corrosion?
I've had either 4 cable failures since I started kayaking in 2003; the most recent being July of 2019. In my experience every cable snapped where the cable was crimped into the eye where it attaches to the rudder. Kind of makes since as the cable can kink there and also hold some saltwater. My sister had one snap at the swage crimp up by the sliding foot brace. Again, that would be a spot where the wire could kink and also hold water within the crimp.

When they snap is like Russian Roulette. If you're astute you can potentially catch it before it fully snaps as you'll see individual strands of the cable start snapping off. I noticed this prior to the trip in July 2019, but gambled it would hold for the two days......... it didn't. I normally travel with a second set of cables for this exact situation, but I forget to grab my extra parts tote before making my way to the coast.

On my 2003 Wilderness Systems The Ride one of the cables is the original from when I purchased the kayak, the other was replaced around 2010. The other three snapped cables were on my 2007 Perception Search 15, which makes sense due it spending all it's time in saltwater.

When the cable snapped in July 2019 on my Search 15 I replaced the cables with Hobie Rudder Spectra Line. Works like a charm and should last for many worry free years. Cheaper too.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

My 6 year old Hobie Revo uses braid. Never replaced
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

I finally had a chance to get the Trident Prowler out of my mother-in-laws garage and into mine. I also put on new handles and filled in some minor dings on the hull.

Feels good to have a Bass Kayak and a Saltwater Kayak in the garage now.
Attachments
20210131_120023.jpg
20210131_120334.jpg
20210131_120157.jpg
20210131_121809.jpg
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

That OK is looking brand new and I really like the color. That's a solid fleet you have now.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Neumie wrote:That OK is looking brand new and I really like the color. That's a solid fleet you have now.
Thanks!

I also meant to ask about changing out the cables for the rudder to something more saltwater tolerant. Do you have a suggestion on which cord to use and tips for getting everything setup properly?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

agree, good-looking boat
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

ben_beyer wrote:Thanks!

I also meant to ask about changing out the cables for the rudder to something more saltwater tolerant. Do you have a suggestion on which cord to use and tips for getting everything setup properly?
I swapped my cables to Hobie Spectra Line on Search 15. It's been working well for these nearly two years.

I kept the old stainless steel cable in the guide tube, cut one of the fittings off the cable, and then super glued the Hobie line to the cable to pull it through the tube. When trying to align the rudder so it's centered keep the rudder in the stowed/up position and try to lock the the sliding foot controls into place. This will help keep everything centered as best as possible as you attach the line.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Neumie, I'm about to order the cable from ACK. Where you able to find the ferrules for crimping at a local hardware store or did you have to order them?

I can get heat shrink from the hardware store too unless there is a thicker version I need to get.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Have you thought about ordering from McMaster Carr instead of ACK? - you can get FEP-coated cable there, which for me, lasted 7 years v. 1 year for bare cable.

Of course this only works if you already have cable housings installed - if you're starting from scratch, ACK cables + housings makes sense.
impulse

Post by impulse »

ben_beyer wrote:Neumie, I'm about to order the cable from ACK. Where you able to find the ferrules for crimping at a local hardware store or did you have to order them?

I can get heat shrink from the hardware store too unless there is a thicker version I need to get.
Stay away from the heat shrink you can get from the hardware stores in favor of dual wall, adhesive lined heat shrink. It's pretty easy to find on Amazon and EBay nowadays, but not at local stores.

I use it for stainless cables, mostly for shark leaders. Not only does it hermetically seal the high stress area around the hook, it also adds a level of abrasion resistance, which is handy to have where it connects to the rudder. Here's what they look like before and after shrinking. I shot a photo of clear to show how well it seals. It's easier to find it in colors like black and red.

Of course, if you're using coated SST cable or Spectra, it may be a different story...

BTW, I'd add that I made these shark leaders before they banned SST hooks for shark fishing in Texas. That's a 28/0 hook and a 11-12mm diameter swivel, so the size may be misleading in the photo. They're all huge. The hook itself is 6" long.
Attachments
Shark Leaders 2.jpg
Shark Leader.jpg
Last edited by impulse on Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Ron Mc wrote:Have you thought about ordering from McMaster Carr instead of ACK? - you can get FEP-coated cable there, which for me, lasted 7 years v. 1 year for bare cable.

Of course this only works if you already have cable housings installed - if you're starting from scratch, ACK cables + housings makes sense.
It has the Ocean Kayak rudder with steel cable so it has housings installed. I was going to go ahead and replace with the Hobie spectra cord to avoid issues from corrosion on the cable itself.

I guess in thinking about it, I probably don't need ferrules for the replacement. What I might do on the heat shrink is see what Amazon or Grainger have. If they don't have the thicker material, I have placed heat shrink over heat shrink in the past for extra abrasion resistance on other stuff.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

you might want to read the thread I linked - you can't push spectra - have to pull it.
Vacuum cleaner works, but on my cable housing ends, the spectra ends wouldn't go through with just vacuum. I had to use fine stainless leader wire to pull them through.
Took a few tries to get a fine-enough twist knot.

A heads up for Grainger on ebay. Rather than order Grainger online, their product code will search on ebay with better shipping cost.

Also check this thread about rudder loops
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

ben_beyer wrote:Neumie, I'm about to order the cable from ACK. Where you able to find the ferrules for crimping at a local hardware store or did you have to order them?

If you are replacing with stainless steel cable then the cable kit should include the swages and heat shrink.

If you are replacing with Hobie Line here's what I did. I cut the stainless steel line and left it in the tube. Then I cut both the hobie line and existing stainless steel line at an angle and then used super glue to to glue them together (Gorilla Gel in my case). When gluing try to keep the diameter as thin as possible, which is why I cut both lines at an angle. Allow to dry and it should pull right through. I tried using my vacuum, but I couldn't get it to suck the line through as I had done years ago. I then used bowline knot, plus a set knot, plus shrink wrap to attach to the foot control and rudder.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Josh, what I like about using an Anchor Bend at the pedal attachment (if you have room for it) is that the double loop spreads the contact load and cuts the contact stress in half to minimize potential wear.