Thoughts on Older (10+ Years) Ocean Kayak Trident Prowler 15

ben_beyer

Thoughts on Older (10+ Years) Ocean Kayak Trident Prowler 15

Post by ben_beyer »

Back in 2011 I went fishing in a kayak for the first time borrowing my dads Ocean Kayak Trident Prowler 15. It wasn't the most comfortable kayak but I could always upgrade the seat.

It's been sitting in his barn and I'm not sure what condition the hull is in. Since I'm thinking of getting a second kayak, I was thinking I could pick it up from him assuming the hull is still OK and use it the next time I go inshore fishing and see how much better a lower profile and faster kayak could be than my Coosa HD.

I believe it was bought in 2007 so I'm nut sure what would need to be replaced (I.E. bungee cords). Is this kayak comparable to the Tarpon series and would it still be considered a good option for the coast?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HNnL7IIZZw
Attachments
190504_839648006693_7521421_n.jpg
190504_839648006693_7521421_n.jpg (40.99 KiB) Viewed 9410 times
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts on Older (10+ Years) Ocean Kayak Trident Prowler 15

Post by Neumie »

A classic. As long as it was kept out of direct sunlight the plastic will be in good enough shape. More than likely the bungees and nylon webbing straps (dry rot) will need to be replaced. It'll be a little more stable than the Tarpon 160, but it's length ans lower profile make it a great choice for the coast.

I have a 2003 Wildy The Ride and a 2007 Perception Search 15 which I still use. The Search has many hundreds of hours on it fishing the coast and I've replaced all the bungees at least once and handles at least twice due to dry rot.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Cool.

It's been kept out of the sun but last I saw, it was sitting on a flatbed trailer.

I am OK to replace the cord material too. Just time to run and tie knots.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

great choice for coast fishing - HDPE weathers forever stored out of the sun, and it's even quite UV resistant, though they get a little chalky if stored in the sun.

Many of us prefer boats like this for the distance they give us at the coast.
Here's a good seat option that my buddy used, and others also like:
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 6#p2285966
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Lots of folks will tell you the older ones were made a lot better than the newer models OK is currently selling. Once you've checked out the hull and feel it's still in good shape replace the bungees and likely the rudder cable and you should be good for all waters.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to check out the kayak in a few weeks and bring it down to where I live to start working on it.

After listening to the Bite Me podcast, I'm going to make Redfish Bay my primary spot to fish and learn since it's not huge and has plenty to explore. I'll keep some of the spots I've found around Port Aransas, Bayside, and Port Bay as alternatives when I just want something different.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

don't wait too many few weeks - it's time to hit the flats
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

I wish I could. I have a newborn at home that turns 1 month tomorrow and travel for work. There's the spring which the lower profile will help with the winds and next fall too.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

ben_beyer wrote:I wish I could. I have a newborn at home that turns 1 month tomorrow and travel for work. There's the spring which the lower profile will help with the winds and next fall too.
You're doing the right thing. Those kiddos grow up way too fast. The fishing will still be there when you do get a chance to go.

When that time comes the Trident 15 is long enough to have a young kiddo sat in front of you either on the center console on a cushion just in front (on the bow side) of the console.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Well I might get a chance to hit Redfish Bay in early November. One of my work trips looks like it will be advanced a week so now it just depends on in-law ability to go, which is highly probable.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

that's a good time to fish, temperate weather, crowds are down.
We always get that first cold snap right about Halloween, but it always warms up after.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

I got a chance to look at my dad's kayak over the holidays. To my surprise the bungee cord was all still good. The carry handles on the sides not so much. Parts at ACK are sub $20 so no big deal. I just need to get it to a spot in the barn to stage it until I can pick it up and get it down to my house.

The wife said she was OK with it but I think she wants me to leave it at my parents house...

So I might have to work on that first lol.
20191129_141035.jpg
Yak Dog

Post by Yak Dog »

I love the tridents , I have the trident 15 and it’s so quick and handles rough water great. I mostly fish the marsh and it glides in little water. Being yours is older you can find all the replacement parts you need for that kayak easily. If for some reason the kayak was stored wrong and has a warp on the bottom, here’s what you do . Get the kayak in an area you can work with it preferably off the ground so you can eye ball the hull . Boil a pot of water then pour that into a jug so you can control the pour better. Then slowly pour the hot water over the are that’s bent in or warped . Move it around don’t leave in one area . Watch you feet because of spillage. Once you see the area is pliable reach in and push to were it needs to be . You should be able to shape it back into the original shape. Once you get it were you like then pour cold water over the area making sure it’s doesn’t bend in again. It’s really easy and I’ve used this method in the past with other kayaks.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Yeah I looked at the hull and it looked good. There was a small chip on front the V for the hull that would turn in to a slow leak but I can fix that with a plastic welder. I didn't look at how deep it was so it could be alright.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Flat spots from boat storage can also be straightened out by turning the boat upside down on your lawn in the sun.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Some 303 on the center hatch may restore the color. I'd start with letting the hull sit out in the sun before pouring hot water to help remove any flat spots from prolonged storage. It doesn't take much heat for the plastic to come back to original shape.

I'm surprised only the handles had dry rotted. I would still have bungee on hand to replace as necessary.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

I was able to get the Triden Prowler 15 out of the barn today and brought it home. The other side handle ripped off when I was unloading it.

I went ahead and order the replacement handles and rivets from ACK this evening and I also found a dealer for the Gone Fishin' Kayak Seat.

The only thing it really needs is an anchor trolley and I'll probably order one of those soon too.
20201229_133757.jpg
20201229_133805.jpg
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

ben_beyer wrote:I was able to get the Triden Prowler 15 out of the barn today and brought it home. The other side handle ripped off when I was unloading it.

I went ahead and order the replacement handles and rivets from ACK this evening and I also found a dealer for the Gone Fishin' Kayak Seat.

The only thing it really needs is an anchor trolley and I'll probably order one of those soon too.

20201229_133757.jpg

20201229_133805.jpg
I also suspect you'll need to replace all the bungees soon too if the webbing on the handles had dry rotted.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

They seemed OK but it wouldn't surprise me if they are up for replacement next too. I'll check them again just in case but the handles are also necessary to help me get it up on the wall since it'll go above my Coosa HD.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Best thing about a used kayak, if it does not leak, will do the same thing as it did when it was new. Hard to find a better paddling kayak.
2 Weight Willie

Re: RE: Re: Thoughts on Older (10+ Years) Ocean Kayak Trident Prowler 15

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

Tombo wrote:Best thing about a used kayak, if it does not leak, will do the same thing as it did when it was new. Hard to find a better paddling kayak.
Those tridents are fast paddlers. Like tombo said if it doesn't leak it's just as good as a new one

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

It's basically new other than the dry rotted straps. My dad only used it once and I used it a handful of times 8 years ago. Now that I have some wading boots, I can get out and wade an area if I want to as well.

I also ordered an anchor trolley for it last night after I made the initial post so other than some track for mounting rod holders, etc., it should be ready to fish.

Question on the rudder cables. What do I need to do to prevent corrosion?
2 Weight Willie

ben_beyer wrote:It's basically new other than the dry rotted straps. My dad only used it once and I used it a handful of times 8 years ago. Now that I have some wading boots, I can get out and wade an area if I want to as well.

I also ordered an anchor trolley for it last night after I made the initial post so other than some track for mounting rod holders, etc., it should be ready to fish.

Question on the rudder cables. What do I need to do to prevent corrosion?
You can take the cables off and maybe coat them with some rust protectant and/or something else like that

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

ben_beyer wrote:Question on the rudder cables. What do I need to do to prevent corrosion?
Ben, might want to review this thread:
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... &p=1663881

Between salt exposure and fatigue during road travel, I got 1-2 years out of bare stainless cable.
I got 7 years out of FEP-coated stainless cable (from McMaster-Carr)

I'm now on 500-lb spearfishing braid, and it has its own set of issues, but corrosion isn't one.
2 Weight Willie

Ron Mc wrote:
ben_beyer wrote:Question on the rudder cables. What do I need to do to prevent corrosion?
Ben, might want to review this thread:
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... &p=1663881

Between salt exposure and fatigue during road travel, I got 1-2 years out of bare stainless cable.
I got 7 years out of FEP-coated stainless cable (from McMaster-Carr)

I'm now on 500-lb spearfishing braid, and it has its own set of issues, but corrosion isn't one.
That's smart! Heavy braid for rudder cable