Hats

imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Re: Hats

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Neumie wrote: My cheapy from Walmart and my better quality Hemlock would not stand up to repeated dunking in water.
Yeah it's probably not a good Idea, but it was really hot and I couldn't resist. Ive always done it with my ball caps but it doesn't hurt them. I only invested 14 bucks in this one so I wasn't too worried about hurting it. When I buy a better one I'll have to be a grown up again...

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Hats

Post by Ron Mc »

if you think how many centuries hemp rope has weathered and held fast all the world's shipping...
With a hemp straw hat, you can make the choice to dunk it for swamp cooler effect and still have a long-lived hat.
Here's a nice selection of spendy hemp straw.
https://www.villagehatshop.com/hats/Hemp-Straw

Pretty sure I bought my Akubra from David Morgan, but it's also on this list above
I checked, the purveyor I linked doesn't sell the Akubra afterthought chin strap, but David Morgan does
https://www.davidmorgan.com/shop/produc ... hin-strap/

one winter hat I tried that didn't weather past 2 winters was this Stetson kangaroo felt, plus it smelled like a wet kangaroo when it rained. I tried steam + starch to hold up the floppy brim.
Finally gave up and gave it away, and it was well-received by its new owner, who took it to Paris Hatter's for a refurb.
When I was in college, was gifted then a 40-y-o Ryon 100% beaver felt that became my fishing hat for two decades.
It's been all over the Rockies, and I've slept under it many nights, especially white bass runs...
Gave it to my BIL, who stomped it into the floorboard of his Torino,
I somehow ended up with it again, and my girls took it over.
I replaced the kangaroo fedora with this Art Fawcett 100% beaver, built on a conformer from my bean - the last winter hat I'll ever own - you don't want to know...
Between the Akubra hemp, Conner canvas, and VS Journeyman century, I'm set for hats...