The offshore guy heads to the shallows...

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

The offshore guy heads to the shallows...

Post by Prof. Salt »

I have been fly fishing for a few years now, but mostly for white bass during their spawning run. I have been found around the lights more than a few times, picking off trout and a few reds along the edges too, but the majority of the time I am just paddling offshore for pelagic fish. Last week my nephew from Alaska visited and it was windy offshore, so we headed to a spot that Tombo had shared with me a couple of years ago. I packed only the 4 and 8 weights, and I gave the nephew spinners to cast some soft plastics. He worked off to explore on his own, so I began to target reds that were creeping in the shallows. I blew it many times by casting across fish or landing the fly too close and spooking them. Finally I got it right with this 27.9" red. Then I picked up a couple of black drum that I found feeding in slightly deeper water.

Saturday I wanted to head back and try again now that I had the feel for the wind and remembered the area better. The tides were really low, and reds were VERY exposed as they hunted. It was so shallow I couldn't drag the boat along without alerting the fish nearby. I finally saw a creeper and got set up before he got close enough to hear the kayak moving. A well placed cast put the fly in front of him, and he struck but missed. As he circled around through the mud boil to find the bait, I recast and BOOM! He tore out throwing mud and water all over me. That was cool. Once the wind came up I went over to see if drum were feeding and sure enough, they were everywhere. I was able to be selective with them and only present to the eater sized fish because their tails were visible. I worked around the large fish to pitch the fly toward my preferred ones, and it worked pretty well. It took 4-5 casts for each fish to get their attention so they would look up from the mud, but once they did it usually meant they'd strike (gently) at the fly. Every drum was hooked in the lip and it made for good hookups and easy releases. I was even able to catch several beyond my limit for grins, because they were not hooking themselves deep. Releases were simple for me and the fish.

Monday was a holiday, so I accidentally ended up back at the same area. On the way to my starting point, I came across a feeding fish and offered it a crab fly. He liked it, so the 24.5' fish went on the stringer. I broke a big fish off when it broke the leader by dragging a bunch of grass across the flat. Then I spotted what I was looking for - a big red just laying there with its back exposed. I crept within range and picked up the 4 weight. As gently as possible I laid a bead chain Clouser in front of the fish. The peaceful quiet flat was interrupted by the violent and very noisy strike, making me jump in my seat. The fish ran hard and before I knew it all the fly line was gone, along with half the backing. I got it stopped and when it finally came aboard it measured exactly 28". I don't know if I can ever go back to "normal" fishing after this! :D
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: The offshore guy heads to the shallows...

Post by karstopo »

Yes, I find it tough to put down the fly rod when I’m up in the marsh or shallow bay. I still remember about every detail of the first slot redfish I ever brought to hand using the fly gear. The stalk, the shot, the eat, the fight, it is all really intense and addictive.

Thanks for the share and giving me a little high.
TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by TKFStubb »

I think we have a convert! Welcome to the muddy side!
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

TKFStubb wrote:I think we have a convert! Welcome to the muddy side!
Lol, thanks! I'm not giving up on the offshore scene just yet, but this shallow stuff is more fun than I had realized.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Always enjoy your reports. Been wondering if you still had the Reload. Does it work well in the marsh? Also, can you stand in it to flyfish? I paddled one and it seemed fast, but maybe a little tender? TexasJim
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

TexasJim wrote:Always enjoy your reports. Been wondering if you still had the Reload. Does it work well in the marsh? Also, can you stand in it to flyfish? I paddled one and it seemed fast, but maybe a little tender? TexasJim
The Reload is great in the flats, and the rudder being flush with the bottom of the hull is a nice touch in the shallows too. Some folks stand in them, but at my height I just stay seated and fish while sitting. With the fish visible it's not too difficult; the mud in that area won't allow me to wade near the kayak.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Well...when you were offshore I just thought you were a good offshore kayak fisherman. And now you come into the shallows and my first though was, “damn! He’s making me look bad!” Which you did. :? But now I realize that you are just a darn good fisherman! Especially like the fly rod aspect. Thanks for sharing and keep em coming!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

he's done this before
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Thank you but Ron is right, fly fishing isn't new to me. The flats and tailing fish is new, and it's proving a very entertaining venue. Tomorrow I take FIL out there to see what we can catch. He's more of a bait fisherman but I think if he just uses a simple hook with a shrimp it can be cast ahead of tailers so they can find it. I'm hoping he can have some of the same thrills without having to figure out a buggy whip.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

the flats are only going to get better over the next two months, while the offshore swells get worse (though the pelagic migration will also be kicking)
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Yeah, it's finally turning on on the flats and the marsh. Good job Glenn!