Teach me what to do with my GoPro video

Tombo

Teach me what to do with my GoPro video

Post by Tombo »

I want to know step by step process to save and post my fist GoPro video. Is there a special app? Good editing software? Old enquiring minds need to know.
TrailChaser

Re: Teach me what to do with my GoPro video

Post by TrailChaser »

First thing I do is watch the video's in raw form with the card plugged into the computer. I watch them in order and try to do it within 24hrs of the trip so things that happened are still fresh in my mind. If I can remember the highlights of the day that I want to feature in a video I just fast scroll thru the videos and make notes on timestamps for valuable footage. I rename the files on the card starting with 01 and call out the time stamp and a reminder like this 01 3.25red 6.45speck That tells me at a glance what's on the file, the order and where on the file to find it in post.

Next I transfer the renamed files to a folder I created for that day.

Now I open the editing software. It doesn't matter what you use as long as you understand the features/options. You need to know what you shot the video in. Like 1080p 60fps. You can see this info by right clicking on the video file and clicking on "properties." Once you know that you'll want to set your "project" settings to match your video size and frame rate for the best results.
Drag & drop the files into the editing program, then start clipping/splitting the files one by one. Just cut the excess footage and keep the good stuff. Leave the files you're keeping in order from right to left and when you're finished just merge them using some transition tool. I personally only use fade, since the flip, spin and peel stuff just look too "windows movie maker from the late 90's", but you'll want some transition since the chop between scenes looks too unnatural. Like a hard edge in your video.

When it's all together, it's time to render your video. This is the tricky part for most people. I can't tell you what you should use, but if you're making videos for youtube they accept most formats. Just use the best quality available, because why not.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Find a 12 year old kid looking for some spending cash and hire him/her to do it for you...

And I say that only slightly tongue in cheek, because many kids today can compute circles around us, they'll intuitively know how to add a little background music, and they'll end up with a finished production that appeals to a generation of younger people. I always end up with something akin to those old home movies nobody watches.

Video editing can be extremely time consuming on a decently powered computer, and agonizingly slow on anything with a slower CPU. The good news is that a lot of it happens in the background, after you hit the "start" button, while you're watching your favorite team on TV- because your computer will be busy for quite a while.

I'd characterize it as an excellent winter activity for when you're snowbound. But how often does that happen in Texas?

That said, it's like any skill that gets better and much more satisfying with practice. I use Cyberlink PowerDirector (older version 16), though there are many other (some free) options out there. That's not an endorsement, BTW. I watched a few YouTubes and it got decent reviews and it was reasonably priced.

Google "free video editing" to see a lot of the choices.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Thank you everyone. Now I will watch the video and jot down some time frames.