Tarpon 140 going away?

LSP552

Tarpon 140 going away?

Post by LSP552 »

I’m TDY in Maryland for work. Since I can’t not go local kayak shops while traveling, I spent some time at a large shop in Annapolis, MD today talking kayaks and fishing with the manager and browsing.

The topic turned to Wilderness when I mentioned that I used a Tarpon 120. We have all probably heard WS is updating the Tarpon for 2020. It seems mostly cosmetic, along with adding the Pungo dry box to the Tarpon floor. What surprised me was the comment that the 105 and 120 were the only remaining Tarpons.

Love my 120 because it’s so easy to handle alone and does everything I ask. But, I’m really surprised the Tarpon 140, and I guess the 160 are going away.

Good info, bad info?
TexasJim

Re: Tarpon 140 going away?

Post by TexasJim »

As of now, the T140 is still on the Wilderness site, plus a T135T tandem. No T160 to be seen. T100 and T120 are there, too. Maybe your dealer knows the future. I'd like to have a T140.
I saw a T160i, the older version, on Corpus Christi Craigslist yesterday. I'm too short for one of those, but I hear they're really fast. Probably lighter that the last ones with all the tracks and hinged hatches. TexasJim
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

That's disappointing if true. Only updating the 105 and 120 and discontinuing the 140 and 160 would be extremely disappointing. The longer Tarpons were cons of the kayak fishing industry. I'm also concerned the Ride series is on its way out as well. With the introduction of the Patrol at iCast and priced similar to the Ride it seems one of the most versatile kayak designs on the market is no more.

If this is the case Wilderness has abandoned kayaks designed for paddlers and fully committed to barges which have flooded the market. As it stands only the new Tarpon 120 and 105 will have a beam under 34".
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Wow! We'll have to start calling them Tubs'R'Us! I get the impression that the Radar 115 and 135 haven't been the success they're used to having. It wouldn't surprise me to see their Ride series go away. Ch-ch-ch-anges!
TexasJim
LSP552

Post by LSP552 »

TexasJim wrote:As of now, the T140 is still on the Wilderness site, plus a T135T tandem. No T160 to be seen. T100 and T120 are there, too. Maybe your dealer knows the future. I'd like to have a T140.
I saw a T160i, the older version, on Corpus Christi Craigslist yesterday. I'm too short for one of those, but I hear they're really fast. Probably lighter that the last ones with all the tracks and hinged hatches. TexasJim
He was definitely taking about the 2020 changes. Guess we will see more down the road. I’m going to ask my local guy when I get back to RI next week.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

This is definitely about the number of different models and cost of inventory thing we talked about before.
WS has decided they can't turn enough SOT touring kayaks to make them cost-effective, and 20-somethings in kayak shops are selling all bass boats to newbies.
Sitting tall and standing have a performance price in speed, distance and control that get overlooked when the first two are made the priority.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

The trend to suspended seats seems to be the norm. I don't see the Tarpon series using them due to center of gravity being raised, just my opinion.
Tarpon 160 going the route of the Scupper Pro, another great paddling kayak.
If Hobie made the Revolution 18' long, I would be a customer.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Tombo wrote:The trend to suspended seats seems to be the norm. I don't see the Tarpon series using them due to center of gravity being raised, just my opinion.
Tarpon 160 going the route of the Scupper Pro, another great paddling kayak.
If Hobie made the Revolution 18' long, I would be a customer.
Agree just look at all the used paddle kayaks not selling. You'll find many of them don't have an elevated seat.

I'd like to see Hobie add an inch of width to the Revo 13 (to 29.5") and increase the length by one foot (to 14.5') to help offset the increased width. A Revo 18 would be fast!
rockportkayak
Location: Rockport,TX---Viking Reload,Viking 400 Lite, Viking 2plus1

Post by rockportkayak »

SWFinatic wrote: I'd like to see Hobie add an inch of width to the Revo 13 (to 29.5") and increase the length by one foot (to 14.5') to help offset the increased width. A Revo 18 would be fast!
Those measurement are almost exactly a Viking Profish Reload, width 29.75", length 14.5' :D
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

rockportkayak wrote:
SWFinatic wrote: I'd like to see Hobie add an inch of width to the Revo 13 (to 29.5") and increase the length by one foot (to 14.5') to help offset the increased width. A Revo 18 would be fast!
Those measurement are almost exactly a Viking Profish Reload, width 29.75", length 14.5' :D
Yep just missing those pedals. :)

Hobie likes to do things on their own and not follow anyone. IMO there is a huge market for those like me who don't have a solid enough back/shoulder (old football injury) to paddle long distances or would just rather peddle for an offshore kayak more stable than the Revo 13 or 16 like the Profish Reload but with peddles.