Thoughts on a wilderness tarpon 120

Trit

Thoughts on a wilderness tarpon 120

Post by Trit »

I am looking to buy a new kayak. I'm stuck between a OK trident 13 and the tarpon 120. I travel a lot so the 12-13 foot range is ideal for me. But I want a good all around kayak that I can use for bay fishing but also has the capability to go btb. Any thoughts and opinions on these two kayaks would be great. Thanks in advance.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Thoughts on a wilderness tarpon 120

Post by Ron Mc »

Found this buried, and TexasJim has that specific boat.
BTB is always pick a good day, but I'd be surprised if you find much difference in those two boats - they're rigged almost identical, and the hulls even look the same.
The Trident has the advantage of factory rod holders.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I'd say the Trident 13 primarily due to the storage. The center hatch storage IMO is huge. Also the additional length is a big plus. More room to mount a fish bag, etc. The Trident 15 would be even better for BTB because you can fit your rods in the hull through the center hatch for surf exit/entry.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I don't know much about a Trident 13. A friend bought a Trident 11 that was made before the "redesigned" 2017/18 version. They added lots of features, but also about 17 pounds! They say the 13 weighs 79 pounds. To me, that's heavy for a 13-foot paddle kayak. The Tarpon 120 is supposedly 63 pounds (which I don't believe). My friend's Trident 11 was kinda tubby.
Do yourself a favor and paddle both before you buy. The Tarpon will be very tippy at first, but if you can get past that, it's fast, handles well(even without a rudder), and is very well built. I think the Trident 13 will be a bit more stable, but not as fast. The extra weight really shows up after you have paddled 6+ miles and have to reload your yak onto your vehicle.
No way I would take either of those kayaks BTB. Get a T160 or Viking Profish Reload, at least. TexasJim
rockportkayak
Location: Rockport,TX---Viking Reload,Viking 400 Lite, Viking 2plus1

Post by rockportkayak »

Also look the Viking Profish 400 also. It is 13ft, light weight, and very versatile.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I agree with Rockport Ryan. In the 13-foot size range, the Viking Profish 400 is a winner! Light, easily paddled and a quality-built kayak. TexasJim